topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which social share sites should be featured in the "Share" button?  (Read 6635 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
So i'm revamping the "share" link which you will find at the bottom of DonationCoder.com pages.

I'm not at all sure we will stick with this addtoany.com helper tool, BUT for now, i'd appreciate some help prioritizing which services you people use so they can be featured at the top of the list.

• If you are a social network users, you can help by going to: http://www.addtoany.com/buttons/
  • Then click "More Options" and then "Prioritize Services"
  • And then click to choose your 10 favorite (or best) services to add them to the list.
  • Then when you are done click "get button code" and paste it here.

None of the other options matter, just the list of site priorities that it shows in the button code like:
a2a_config.prioritize = ["facebook", "stumbleupon", "twitter", "evernote", "email", "google_bookmarks"];

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which social share sites should be featured in the "Share" button?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 09:13 PM »
Facebook, twitter, stumbleupon, delicious

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 10:04 AM »
a2a_config.prioritize = ["evernote", "instapaper", "twitter", "facebook", "amazon_wish_list", "posterous", "stumbleupon"];

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 02:57 PM »
a2a_config.prioritize = ["facebook", "twitter", "wordpress", "friendfeed"];

I don't use many. But it's good the way you have it with only a few available at first glance, then more available beneath.

My main method is to browse news on my mobile, then post to Facebook and/or tweet. When on my desktop, I usually copy URLs then go to Facebook. If I'm tweeting, I'll use this.

What would work best for me is something like this:

DC-social-buttons.png

Just saying.

What wouldn't work here is something like I use at Cynic.me:

Screenshot - 2011-01-31 , 7_55_51 AM.png

That's too clunky for here.

The current thing seems pretty good, though eliminating a click would be better.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:02 PM »
I also agree with Renegade (although I'm not sure he meant this on purpose): I'd like to see a small button per post, allowing the share in facebook and twitter.
What about the "I like this" button? I haven't been to DC in a while, and now coming back I've missed this button in at least 3 or 4 posts this week.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:16 PM »
With the customization simply being a question of modifying an array why not add a field in the user profile (in the way self-assigned badges are)? Then members could customize their sharing options themselves.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 05:20 PM »
I also agree with Renegade (although I'm not sure he meant this on purpose): I'd like to see a small button per post, allowing the share in facebook and twitter.
What about the "I like this" button? I haven't been to DC in a while, and now coming back I've missed this button in at least 3 or 4 posts this week.

That's exactly what I meant. :)

Some of the threads are simply long, and if you want to point out a specific post in there, you don't want to force people to read the whole thread to find it.

I thought about mocking up the screenshot with a Like button, but I usually want to post something with it instead of just "Like" it. Ideally, both would be best, but that's a lot to put in. For speed and cleanness, I'd think that Facebook and Twitter are the 2 biggest, and that's enough.

With the customization simply being a question of modifying an array why not add a field in the user profile (in the way self-assigned badges are)? Then members could customize their sharing options themselves.

I think that's a great idea!
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 10:59 AM »
I removed AddToAny, and replaced it with another middleman, SmartAddon, based on this nice roundup:
http://www.raymond.c...formance-comparison/

HOWEVER, I dislike using these middleman tools.  We need to replace them with local html code that handles this stuff without having to fetch content from a 3rd party middleman.  Anyone want to try whipping up some html/js?