ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unprotected Wireless Lans?

<< < (5/11) > >>

housetier:
so you say, so I heard. But I also heard Windows was a good operating system...

I think in a few years it will be easier to set up wireless networks, even on the spot; and also to do so securely. The time is not now, however.

moerl:
So you say, so you think, but there really is no reason to be so scared of wireless networks. Apparently, the AEP encryption method has never been cracked before, ever, and that's what most people who have a clue about WLAN's today use to secure their wireless networks (WPA with AEP/TKIP). I also happen to think that Windows is a good operating system. Now, that isn't to say that it is flawless. Obviously, it's far from flawless and has its problems, just like any other OS. Ok, perhaps Windows has a few more problems than other OSes out there... ;), but if you know what you're doing, once more, and you're used to Windows, it is very stable and will work reliably for a long time. At least that has been my experience over the years.

Today and perhaps for years already, it has been easy to set up wireless networks, on the spot, and securely. It may be a matter of opinion, and I invite anyone with an opinion on this to step in and voice it because I am curious about what others think about this issue.

jgpaiva:
I am all for wirelass lans!
No doubts about it.
Since i got my wireless router here at home, i can't use cables anymore.
Less speed? Yes, it's slower, but it fits my needs, i don't download torrents and such, but for the other things (gaming, surfing and downloading from ftp/http), it's very stable and very confortable.
I hate having cables all around, i'm even thinking of getting myself a wireless keyboard.
I don't like to walk into a room and have to either step on a bunch of cables spread through the floor, or have to be jumping around to to step on them.
My friends here at home use cable, because they are constantly downloading stuff from torrents, and feel that ethernet is better for them. I hate that idea.
At my parents' , i have to use ethernet, and i constantly miss my wireless router.
I mean, not having to have cables all around, being able to take the laptop anywhere in the house (with wireless, i can wake up in my bedroom and have internet, without needing some 30-meter-long cable spread through my corridor.
About the security issues, i'm not that afraid. I can't use wpa :( because my router doesn't support it, but i have wep, and i feel quite secure since there's only one more wireless network on my area.

f0dder:
The windows kernel is superior to the linux kernel, period. What drags windows down is the usermode software, the win32 API, and third-party driver developers that produce unstable crap. But even with all windows' flaws, it's still superior to the majority of people, simply because you don't need to mess around just to get everyday jobs done. </anti-gpl fascist rant>

As long as you get a decent access point, setting up wireless shouldn't really be much of a hassle (unless there's other very strong-signal AP's in the neighbourhood). Most stuff that's worth anything today comes with at least WPA-PSK, which seems pretty decent. Just stay away from WEP and friends.

f0dder:
[...] I can't use wpa :( because my router doesn't support it, but i have wep, and i feel quite secure since there's only one more wireless network on my area.
-jgpaiva (April 05, 2006, 04:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

WEP passwords can be bruteforced in a reasonable amount of time... but you don't even have to do that to gain access, afaik... Something about packet injection that I haven't bothered to look into.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version