ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unprotected Wireless Lans?

<< < (4/11) > >>

f0dder:
If you look through astalavista, you'll get infected by a zombie ddos network within a few minutes :) - but yes, WEP is supposedly breakable within five minutes.

Carol Haynes:
Troible is not all devices support WPA ... I have a linksys network (with a change of SSID!!) and have to use WEP as I need a signal booster in the system and couldn't find one that supports WPA. Linksys are not interested in producing firmware updates - I had enough problems finding one that would work with my ADSL Router.

moerl:
Of course not all devices support WPA. Especially older ones. I was just saying that I find it strange Netstumbler lists ALL protected WLAN's as WEP-protected, when I know exactly that most of them are WPA protected, that's all.
Linksys does provide firmware updates here and then.. they just udpated the firmware for part of their product range last week or so. Linksysinfo.org is a great site for info on all things Linksys. I currently am running custom 3rd party firmware on my Linksys WRT54GS.

housetier:
My friend and I don't have any wireless equipment in our apartment. When we moved in we discussed how we were going to set up our LAN. Since he was using copper-bound ethernet at work and just had rolled a major upgrade of that network's capacity, we went for good ole cable as well. So far is has paid off very well: our network is fast, reliable and superquick to extend when friends come over with their laptops.

Yes, sometimes it were nice to have wireless access, if only for making it easier to "relocate" our computers. However we don't regard this is as a tradeoff since we value security much higher than comfort and we both know so much more about ethernet than about wireless.

To make a boring story short: unless wireless networks can easily be secured (and I mean secured, not just pretended protection) I will not consider it when setting up networks.

moerl:
My friend and I don't have any wireless equipment in our apartment. When we moved in we discussed how we were going to set up our LAN. Since he was using copper-bound ethernet at work and just had rolled a major upgrade of that network's capacity, we went for good ole cable as well. So far is has paid off very well: our network is fast, reliable and superquick to extend when friends come over with their laptops.

Yes, sometimes it were nice to have wireless access, if only for making it easier to "relocate" our computers. However we don't regard this is as a tradeoff since we value security much higher than comfort and we both know so much more about ethernet than about wireless.

To make a boring story short: unless wireless networks can easily be secured (and I mean secured, not just pretended protection) I will not consider it when setting up networks.
-housetier (April 04, 2006, 10:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
They can easily be secured ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version