ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unprotected Wireless Lans?

<< < (6/11) > >>

jgpaiva:
WEP passwords can be bruteforced in a reasonable amount of time... but you don't even have to do that to gain access, afaik... Something about packet injection that I haven't bothered to look into.
-f0dder (April 05, 2006, 04:39 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, f0dder, that's one of the main reasons i made this thread, to have an idea of the real dangers of having such network.
But the thing is: you have to do some digging to crack a wep network (i've made some without success). Another thing is that my router is quite bad, it doesn't even cover my house deccently, which means that it doesn't cover anything more than my neighbours' appartments. And i know every of my neighbours, and they're all old people that i don't think even have a computer at home ;)
So, i feel quite secure, i just keep the password on the router for safe-keeping.

Carol Haynes:
I quite liked this:

jgpaiva:
I quite liked this:

-Carol Haynes (April 24, 2006, 04:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D
Nice one, Carol :)

wr975:
have a clue about WLAN's today use to secure their wireless networks (WPA with AEP/TKIP).
--- End quote ---
I read somewhere about someone who said WPA/TKIP is insecure and can be broken (not brute force)... After a long read: TKIP is insecure with short passwords only.  :-\

I'm using WPA/AES anyway, but I took the recommendation to use really strong passwords generated by http://www.grc.com/passwords

I've also configured and activated the MAC-Filter; network cards which are allowed. I know it's no problems for real hackers, but good enough for script kiddies.

And every some time I check for firmware updates. This shouldn't be necessary, but the admin log-on tells the name of the router (I wish it wouldn't do so). Any possible hacker sees the router I use, researches possible exploits and he's in...

f0dder:
Trust In Steve - heh  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version