ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Unprotected Wireless Lans?

(1/11) > >>

jgpaiva:
After having seen this matter being discussed lots of times in the IRC channel, i decided to make a poll about it.
Unprotected Wireless Lans is a common "problem" among less-informed people, and it can represent a real issue if you have a low bandwidth limit. (I call it a "problem" because it can be really good for some people - the ones that don't actually own the router :P)

Rover:
;D  Yeah, I see both sides.  On the one hand, I don't want leeches sucking up my bandwidth, so my router is secure.

On the other hand, when my sister-in-law visits, she can connect to the neighbors WLAN and I don't have to set her up on my router.  I would have done so, but the first time she visited I wasn't home so she found a network and just started using it.  :-[

jgpaiva:
Me too, I am a Wireless Router owner myself, and mine is protected. But I live with two compulsive-downloaders, who would blow my bandwidth limits out of scale if they used our network. So, they use a unprotected one. But the owner doesn't seem to care, since he doesn't protect it...  ;D

allen:
Before I had my own broadband connection here, I found I could hop onto my neighbors from most points in my house with a relatively good signal.  Bound by some old-school "good neighbor" syndrome, I brought it up and was told to feel free to use it . . . yay :)

When I had an apartment in Norfolk, VA, I had access to 3, sometimes 4, unsecure lans.

lanux128:

i don't have wi-fi cards on my pc but i had to help out some friends of mine who have them...
here's one article that i always refer them to --> Why is Wireless Security Important?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version