topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Help - lost part of my cliphistory and favourits after installing v 2.10.01  (Read 3576 times)

Rienk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi,

I recently upgraded to CHS version 2.10.01. And now a large part of my favoutits are gone missing. Strangely enough not all.. I suppose the rest must be somewhere hidden in the guts of my desktop. Any idea how I can restore all of my favourites?

Thnx, Rienk

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hmm, that's troubling and surprising.  Updating should not have caused any change to your favorites.

CHS is very reluctant to actually delete any clips, so it's hard to imagine any of your favorites actually being deleted, and I've never heard of this happening.  But maybe they are just misplaced somewhere..

The first step would be to find your CHS database file backups, and make a copy of them just in case.
If you're using Windows XP or running CHS portably, this will be in C:\Program Files\Clipboard Help+Spell\Backups.  If you're using windows vista or windows 7, it will by default be C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\Backups.

So the first thing i would do is make a copy of all the files there -- by default you will see backups from the last couple of weeks.

After I did that i would open the CHS options, go to the Backup/Maintenance tab, and click the "NOW" button to make a new backup with my current settings.  You could also make copies of the actual current files in the Database directory.

Ok so once you've done all that, you have some backed up files in a safe place so you don't have to worry about things getting worse than they already are, and you can experiment.

• So the first thing I would do if I were you is see if you can find your previous and now missing favorites.
  • Is it possible that they are still there but are being filtered out of view?
  • Do you have any quick search filter set in the top bar of the main window?
  • If you go into the Favorites group on left you don't see them?
  • Do you remember any specific one you can search for using the quick search filter?
  • Try selecting the "ALL" group at top of the tree and searching for them.
  • See if any are in Recycle Bin.

Rienk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser,

stop worrying about CHS. I just realised what I did wrong :-[ Let me explain. On my desktop reside two virtual PC's, separated by a "brick wall" (see Zinstall: a helpfull program). On my virtual XP machine I have CHS (some old version) running for ages. A couple of months ago I put the  then new version opf CHS on the W7 machine. Some days ago I upgraded to version 2.10.01 When I needed an old favorite I couldn't find it. No wonder: it sat on the old XP-machine :-[. I checked and all is still fine there.
So now, after having apologized to you :-[, my next question is: How do I get the favorits from my XP-machine to the W7 machine? Do I just copy the Backup-directory from hte XP to the W7 machine?

Thnx, Rienk

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
How do I get the favorites from my XP-machine to the W7 machine?

Assuming you are happy replacing all the data (not just favorites) on the new W7 machine with all the data from the XP machine, just exit CHS on both machines, and then copy the contents of the Database directory from the old machine to the new one.

Now if replacing all of the data on the Win7 machine is not acceptable.. I'm afraid CHS does not have a nice easy way to do this.  Perhaps it's something i could add.

Rienk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thank you. That worked (afterreinstalling CHS 2.10) :Thmbsup: