Hmm, that's troubling and surprising. Updating should not have caused any change to your favorites.
CHS is very reluctant to actually delete any clips, so it's hard to imagine any of your favorites actually being deleted, and I've never heard of this happening. But maybe they are just misplaced somewhere..
The first step would be to find your CHS database file backups, and make a copy of them just in case.
If you're using Windows XP or running CHS portably, this will be in C:\Program Files\Clipboard Help+Spell\Backups. If you're using windows vista or windows 7, it will by default be C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\DonationCoder\Clipboard Help+Spell\Backups.
So the first thing i would do is make a copy of all the files there -- by default you will see backups from the last couple of weeks.
After I did that i would open the CHS options, go to the Backup/Maintenance tab, and click the "NOW" button to make a new backup with my current settings. You could also make copies of the actual current files in the Database directory.
Ok so once you've done all that, you have some backed up files in a safe place so you don't have to worry about things getting worse than they already are, and you can experiment.
- So the first thing I would do if I were you is see if you can find your previous and now missing favorites.
- Is it possible that they are still there but are being filtered out of view?
- Do you have any quick search filter set in the top bar of the main window?
- If you go into the Favorites group on left you don't see them?
- Do you remember any specific one you can search for using the quick search filter?
- Try selecting the "ALL" group at top of the tree and searching for them.
- See if any are in Recycle Bin.