topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: GMail (Google Mail) backup  (Read 8851 times)

serchend

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: GMail (Google Mail) backup
« on: March 19, 2006, 06:01 PM »
a utility to backup gmail via pop.  possibly save the file as a outlook pst and/or restore the email by resending via smtp. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 01:20 AM by brotherS »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: gmail backup
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:44 PM »
restore the email by resending via smtp. 
I don't know if it is exactlly what you want, but you could use gmail's own Forwarding to another mail of yours (see under settings ->  Forwarding and Pop)

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 10:08 PM »
You could also do this with outlook/outlook express, since that's the file format you want anyway :)

Personally, I back it up via Opera.  Aside from some insurance incase gmail decides to delete your account, it comes in very happy when gmail decides to tell you to try again in a few seconds (which seems to be happening at least weekly, these days) and you need to access a message that you've already received.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 10:10 PM by allen »

serchend

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 10:32 PM »
currently I use outlook to gather it once a month, and then export it from outlook, back it to tape and purge it from outlook. I am just looking for something a little more simple.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 04:25 AM »
Allen: Thank you so much for that pointer. It looks like it's getting time for me to start setting up a backup for my gmail account..

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:29 PM »
currently I use outlook to gather it once a month, and then export it from outlook, back it to tape and purge it from outlook. I am just looking for something a little more simple.

I suppose it complicates things, that it requires the launch of an additional program.  For me it's the simplest thing in the world, since my browser is always open and my browser has a built in mail client.  No additional software, nothing to rememer, just a system set to download hourly.  I don't use it much, so I don't know--could windows scheduler be used to automate this for you?

noth(a)nk.you

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • More than meets the eye.
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: GMail (Google Mail) backup
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 01:47 PM »
For those who (like me) thought this thread was about backing things up to GMail, here's a nifty program to do just that: Gmail Drive.

It allows access to GMail through My Computer and is very handy to back up files >10MB.  I haven't figured out if it's possible to back up the e-mails, though.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:16 PM »
here is a list containing many Gmail related tools. haven't used it myself but would come in handy for Gmail aficionados...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 07:36 PM »
here is a list containing many Gmail related tools. haven't used it myself but would come in handy for Gmail aficionados...
That link looks broken.. Possibly the site is no more. Still, i found it on google's cache: http://www.google.co...d=1&client=opera ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 07:54 PM »
That link looks broken.. Possibly the site is no more. Still, i found it on google's cache: http://www.google.co...d=1&client=opera ;)
that's strange, jgpaiva because i can access it without any problems, as you can see below. anyway, it's a good thing that we have google cache... :Thmbsup:

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/459/dcgmailtools0he.png
IDEA: GMail (Google Mail) backup