topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: The Inside Story on How Microsof't Tablet Didn't Happen?  (Read 6775 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Inside Story on How Microsof't Tablet Didn't Happen?
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Interesting article over on CNet (I'm still mad at them BTW!) about why there is no Microsoft tablet today.

In Tracy Kidder's book Soul of a New Machine there's a discussion about all the things that need to come together before a new computer actually makes it "out the door." Many of them have to do with internal politics; integration into existing product lines; and not cannibalizing your other businesses. Few have to do with pursuing technical excellence, embracing innovation, or providing radically better products.

The following account (if in fact true) answers the classic question of why the better mousetrap catches fewer mice.

(Answer = because it didn't get built.)

Link to full article here.

The inside story of how Microsoft killed its Courier tablet
by Jay Greene November 1, 2011 5:01 AM PDT

Steve Ballmer had a dilemma. He had two groups at Microsoft pursuing competing visions for tablet computers.

One group, led by Xbox godfather J Allard, was pushing for a sleek, two-screen tablet called the Courier that users controlled with their finger or a pen. But it had a problem: It was running a modified version of Windows.

That ran headlong into the vision of tablet computing laid out by Steven Sinofsky, the head of Microsoft's Windows division. Sinofsky was wary of any product--let alone one from inside Microsoft's walls--that threatened the foundation of Microsoft's flagship operating system. But Sinofsky's tablet-friendly version of Windows was more than two years away.

For Ballmer, it wasn't an easy call. Allard and Sinofsky were key executives at Microsoft, both tabbed as the next-generation brain trust. So Ballmer sought advice from the one tech visionary he's trusted more than any other over the decades--Bill Gates. Ballmer arranged for Microsoft's chairman and co-founder to meet for a few hours with Allard; his boss, Entertainment and Devices division President Robbie Bach; and two other Courier team members.

:'(
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:28 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Inside Story on How Microsof't Tablet Didn't Happen?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42 PM »
Renegade already posted this here. :)

Of course, that's the reason that it always rubs me the wrong way when a peripherally connected story that could be a thread in its own right is posted in another thread.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 07:45 PM »
Renegade renegaded his thread, so this one takes precedence and gets blogged  ;)  :up:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 11:23 PM »
Renegade already posted this here. :)

Of course, that's the reason that it always rubs me the wrong way when a peripherally connected story that could be a thread in its own right is posted in another thread.

Well that explains why I didn't spot it in the search I made before posting.  :)

-----

@mouser- Renegade "renegaded" his thread? Love it!  ;D

@Renegade- You seem to be a verb. :Thmbsup:

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 11:58 PM »
Y'all better be nice to me... If I'm willing to renegade my own thread... imagine what I might do to yours... :P

Answer: I might stephen it! I've done it before... :P

I so wish that they'd have kept the courier... It really was just so uber-sexy... :( But... Leave it to MS to drop the ball... :(
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 12:27 AM »
My vote goes to MS surface.  :up: Hope they reduce the price and distribute it worldwide. I don't know why that project is stalled because it was supposed to be an ipad killer.