ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Do You Freelance?

<< < (5/5)

iphigenie:
I'm in the UK but we have similar rules here. I think I'm in a grey area - or my "main" client is. Maybe I'm deluding myself but I'm just taking the view that he knows the law. He's chosen to do things this way - and so it will be his problem if the taxman gets involved and gets upset.

If, indeed, it is me that the taxman will be upset with, then I shall begin panicking immediately.
-nudone (October 25, 2011, 02:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, it would be you and them. Well what the taxman will object to is if nobody is paying NI contributions for you. If you are doing it yourself (declared as self employed, or with a LTD company that employs you and pays some reasonable salary that has NI) then you are off the hook. If you are paying yourself minimum wage then doing the rest as dividends, and you only freelance for one company, then they will see it as a disguised employment and an attempt on your part and the employer's part to avoid paying NI.

Easier to fight off if you are almost never on site than if you are on site. Or get another client for piece work.

http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/

nudone:
Interesting but not too alarming. I'm never on site - I work from home. I pay my own NI so no problem there. I also do have the occasional small client work from other people - just nothing like the amount from the "main" client. So, I guess I'm safe.

I thought there could be cause for concern because my main work is obviously coming from one place; enough for me to ignore the other smaller jobs.

Thanks for the info, iphigenie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version