topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: We are heading towards a sandboxed future, with apps coming from apps stores.  (Read 5467 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
http://news.ycombina....com/item?id=3191021

This describes OSX appstore.

Actually, Windows 8 apps are sandboxed too. Take a look at the Microsoft requirements to distribute a new Metro-Style app through their own app store. Same sandboxed requirements.

The future that Stallman used to write about, to scare children, is actually here.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I doubt that for windows because large number of commercial domains use custom softwares.They are never known outside particular firm so i doubt MS will ever lock apps and drivers to their appstore.If that day comes by some chance then there is this bird in iceland to rescue.

capitalH

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Off topic:
Spoiler
there is this bird in iceland to rescue.

A penguin? In Iceland? Or Antartica?
There might not be penguins in Iceland (ok, well maybe in the zoo...)

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
lol i wanted to make it sound like-alice in wonderland.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the original article is somehow lumping the notion of sandboxes in with 'walled gardens.'

One does not imply or require the other. Sandboxes are (almost always) a force for good. And you can run 'sandboxed' in a completely open and free environment with no need to let yourself be forced onto a captive platform or through a portal to do so. No need to even install anything. Just boot off any 'live' Linux distro and you're there.

:)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 02:53 PM by 40hz »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think the original article is somehow lumping the notion of sandboxes in with 'walled gardens.'

One does not imply or require the other. Sandboxes are (almost always) a force for good. And you can run 'sandboxed' in a completely open and free environment with no need to let yourself be forced onto a captive platform or through a portal to do so. No need to even install anything. Just boot off any 'live' Linux distro and you're there.

Sandboxie was definitely a good thing while my kids were younger.  So sandboxed doesn't mean bad, IMO.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member

Excellent distinction.

I don't mind a sandbox if it's reasonable. Sure, protect the user, but don't be an idiot about it. e.g. Providing read access to a media library isn't too much to ask, is it? (iOS does not allow this last I checked.)

Walled garden... Not down with that.

Regarding that story by Stallman...

I once heard how science fiction eventually becomes science fact. We've seen it in our lifetimes. 

I believe that the same goes for horror stories... And we're seeing it right now. All the terror of the dystopian novels is becoming more and more real.

When Stallman wrote that, he wasn't a story-teller. He was a prophet. :( 

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Sandbox can be bad, if MS starts apple style commission based app store and drivers. Sandbox OS takes freedom from user, be it for file deletion or for custom software development or drivers. Asking users to use signed drivers or apps is no different than locking mp3s and images on cloud by killing hard-drives and charging users for every megabyte streamed from server. 

I see future in linux because of this. You can't control linux with mere corporation power (and this is what we need in future). Some biz like oracle or red hat may get into sandbox and user activity control but there are sane people who see future in better privacy, freedom and control.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Ah... sandboxed development vs. sandboxed deployment... Big difference there...
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker