ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Herb Sutter's brief look at C++11

<< < (3/5) > >>

mwb1100:
Also, "auto" has been in C# for a while now (is it in Java?) - as far as I know, it's been pretty well received.  I don't hear a lot of people saying that it shouldn't be used, that it's been a mistake, or that it's caused problems.

Tuxman:
C++11 is meh. I mean, lambda functions, wtf are they good for? Especially combined with "auto". So C++15 or something will maybe allow us to drop the type completely, let's call it "C++ PHP Edition". Oh wait, PHP introduced types...

Stoic Joker:
Sounds like a great way to make code disposable, because coming back at a snippet months later it wont be real clear what the hell it does if it isn't commented thoroughly.
-Stoic Joker (November 01, 2011, 11:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

If misused sure, but I don't believe features should be left out because they could be misused. Also when you consider polymorphism and generic coding, both present in C++ for years now, this auto isn't exactly a whole new paradigm anyway.-Eóin (November 01, 2011, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is to me ... But most of my code is a ramshackle variation on pure C.

Eóin:
You should start using Boost libraries, they get you thinking in the STL way. And once you do you won't go back!
Or at least I didn't.

Stoic Joker:
You should start using Boost libraries, they get you thinking in the STL way.-Eóin (November 01, 2011, 06:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hm... Well as long as it compiles into something that does not require any run-times, I just might give it a shot. VB soured me on that game years ago. I like a zero presence binary that'll just run regardless of what I toss it on (I'd best qualify that last part with Win2k & up... ;)).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version