ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Herb Sutter's brief look at C++11

<< < (5/5)

Tuxman:
Never worked with Scala at all; but thanks for the hint. Not much time to read technical blogs this year. :(

f0dder:
I'm a bit mixed wrt. Scala. Haven't had time to produce any code for it yet, only read some blog posts and reading through Dean Wampler's Programming Scala.

Parts of it seem very well constructed - it takes type inference even further than what C# does, in a good way. It reduces syntactic clutter, mostly in good ways (it takes a bit getting used to and a bit time accepting when you're used to C-style declarations; e.g. Scala has Pascal-style return type declaration). But after the "that ain't look like how we usually do things around here!" culture shock, most of it seems pretty sane. And some of the syntactic sugar lets you write pretty succinct and almost beautiful code.

Other choices seem outright weird, though. And some things seem to have roots in JVM limitations (like type erasure on generics... one of the biggest mistakes in Java/JVM, IMHO).

One of the biggest appeals of Scala, to me, is that it seems like a "mostly sane" language that does away with a lot of the teeeedious syntactic baggage of Java, adds features from C# I really like, but not tied to MS (not that whOracle is that much better, but we'll see how all that goes down).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version