topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Good quality thesaurus program that integrates with Word 2007?  (Read 12425 times)

raindew01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi all,
I haven't been able to find a thesaurus program that is really good--that has a LOT of options for words that really apply. Most of the ones I've found are based on a public domain thesaurus--one that hasn't been updated in 100 years. I need a more modern one, and one that isn't too too expensive, and that can integrate with Word 2007.... Any ideas?

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Good quality thesaurus program that integrates with Word 2007?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 02:57 AM »
Have you tried Wordweb? It has system-wide integration (look up a word from anywhere) but if you're looking to view synonyms inline, inside Word and replace with a selected word, it won't do that.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:55 AM by nosh »

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:44 AM »
I haven't been able to find a thesaurus program that is really good--that has a LOT of options for words that really apply.

What is it that you don't like in Word's own thesaurus? Perhaps we can suggest alternatives on the basis of what you need?

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 03:48 AM »
Have you tried Wordweb?

I took the liberty to correct the url in the quote.
I adore the license for the free wordweb.

WordWeb free version may be used indefinitely only by people who take at most two commercial flights (not more than one return flight) in any 12 month period. People who fly more than this need to purchase the Pro version if they wish to continue to use it after a 30-day trial period.

They go out of their way to encourage limiting emissions. One should respect that attitude.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:07 AM »
Thx, I've fixed the original link too. That's an interesting license!  8)

raindew01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Thanks so much, you guys!

I have tried Word Web. For me, the thesaurus isn't rich enough, and it doesn't integrate well with Word.

What I really don't like about Word's thesaurus is how slim it is. There are very few synonyms, and they often aren't the best choices.

I have a fantastic thesaurus (hardcover book)--Roget's International Thesaurus, 5th edition, 1992. If I look up a word, say, "peaceful", I then get 7 choices of words that are more specific that can mean peaceful (calm, comfortable, quiescent, homelike, in accord, pacific, moderate), and for each one of those words I can look up the synonyms--and there are at least 20 synonyms for each word, usually more. Those choices are rich, and help me find words that aren't too overused (like "beautiful" is), and that also help me say what I want to say more precisely or specifically or just...better.

I so very much wish I could find that in software. When I'm writing or editing within Word I don't always want to turn to my hardcover thesaurus--it feels so much easier to turn to software on my laptop/desktop. But...to not have good choices doesn't help me.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 07:54 AM »
I know this isn't the solution you are looking for, but you might want to check Roget's Thesaurus online as a stop-gap measure.

And as always, the *nix world has a neater solution: Lexica

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 08:15 AM »
You could try 'The Sage', it's a Dictionary and Thesaurus.
If you let it run in the tray, it is triggered by hovering the mouse over the word and using the hotkey combination.

http://www.sequencep...ing.com/thesage.html

raindew01

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Thank you! I'll check out the Sage.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2011, 11:08 AM »
You could try 'The Sage', it's a Dictionary and Thesaurus.
I'll second that — I was about to suggest it when I saw your post. I run the CD version of the full OED (2nd edition) here and find The Sage to be almost as useful >80% of the time.

xtabber

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 07:03 PM »
I have tried Word Web. For me, the thesaurus isn't rich enough, and it doesn't integrate well with Word.

I so very much wish I could find that in software. When I'm writing or editing within Word I don't always want to turn to my hardcover thesaurus--it feels so much easier to turn to software on my laptop/desktop. But...to not have good choices doesn't help me.
I use WordWeb Pro (paid version) and find that it works well with Word 2003. I find it actually provides better functionality than Word's built in thesaurus. 

WordWeb also sells several commercial dictionaries as add-ins to WW Pro, including the Oxford North American Dictionary and The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, which I use.  The only thesaurus add-in I saw on their site is Chambers ($19, or $39 combined with the Chambers dictionary).

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 11:42 PM »
I haven't been at all happy with The Sage or WordWeb myself. I'm a bit of a thesaurus aficionado. And the Roget's online seems very limited.

I always go to  http://thesaurus.com/ for a truly excellent online thesaurus, myself.

If anyone can find a really excellent software thesaurus, I'd certainly like to know (word compatibility or not).

Txomin

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 06:34 AM »
+1 on TheSage. It is the best offline free dictionary/thesaurus nowadays.

WordWeb was the best once, a long, long time ago. Now even if you buy the pro version, it still has less content and functionality than TheSage.