ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Just curious - what's the difference between FARR and UltraSearch

<< < (3/4) > >>

db90h:
I tried it couple of weeks ago but I didn't really like it and I read somewhere that the google desktop database is not small file and it always trying to scan for changes(I didn't like it how it worked even on my Virtual PC with have only one hdd and 8000 files)
-vsub (October 30, 2011, 11:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yea, it is very large as it indexes everything by default. You can set it to exclude specific drives, folders, or filetypes though. It does have excellent speed, as you know Google engineers are good at quickly indexing and searching ;). It does consume a lot of resources as it continually indexes your filesystem and detects changes on-demand.

vsub:
Well "Everything" is also really fast and the most important thing is,that the program have portable version(tinny executable,really small ini file and tinny database file that contains the locations of more than 50000 files)

The only thing that "Everything" lack is the launch history but that's not big problem because you can find what you are searching for extremely fast...Everything also check for changes(deleted/created file/folder)

The database of Everything looks like a compressed text file

MilesAhead:
Just trying UltraSearch 1.5.  Seems pretty good but no hotkey to bring up the window like Everything when minimized to Tray.  I have to double click the Tray Icon.

Other than that, seems to perform.

MilesAhead:
I added a section to Transpose, my eclectic hotkey app.

But you can use it stand-alone to kick up the UltraSearch 1.5 window when Minimized to Tray.  Requires 1.5 of UltraSearch since it uses "single instance" behavior.

edit: I compile with AutoHotKey_L

Also the path to the exe is hard-wired so modify to suit your setup

--- ---#SingleInstance force
#NoEnv

_EmptyWorkingSet()

;if UltraSearch is minimized to tray
;open when Shift Backspace pressed
;
#If _IsRunning("UltraSearch.exe")
  +BS::
  Run,C:\Utils\UltraSearch\UltraSearch.exe
  _EmptyWorkingSet()
Return

;-------- helper functions from MilesAhead.ahk -----------

; reduce memory footprint
_EmptyWorkingSet()
{
  Return DllCall("psapi.dll\EmptyWorkingSet", "UInt", -1)
}

; _IsRunning(program) from MilesAhead.ahk
; returns non 0 if program is running
;
; call with only program name, not path
; e.g. If _IsRunning("notepad.exe")
;
_IsRunning(program)
{
  Process,Exist,%program%
  Return errorlevel
}