ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extension "Download Statusbar" Now Adware - Maybe Malware

<< < (8/8)

J-Mac:
Before jumping all over the extension author about silent updates... make sure you know exactly how firerfox itself is configured to update any/all extensions.  If FF is set to have extensions auto-update as the default, then *you* have to tell it which extensions you want to be notified of updates before they are install.  It's not really his fault if FF did it on your behalf.  Personally, I'm glad he backed out the change - whether it was because of the backlash, or because of hijacking.   And I have now reverted (again) to manual updates only, for all extensions. (default = no updates, and all extensions reset to default update policy).
-perlguy (November 03, 2011, 12:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

perlguy,

I was looking at different Firefox extensions and checking DC here for any info and I just noticed your post. FYI, I always have FF set to update manually, but Download Statusbar updated automatically anyway back in October 2011, when I first started this thread. I don’t know how that could happen but that was a big part of why everyone was so upset about that update - and was also the primary reason that the Mozilla Add-ons group removed the extension from the Add-ons site, at least until the author reverted back to the previous features and removed the adware functionality.

Thanks!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version