ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extension "Download Statusbar" Now Adware - Maybe Malware

<< < (7/8) > >>

J-Mac:
No longer wonky. Back to normal again Nov. 2, 2011. :Thmbsup:
-bobholm (November 02, 2011, 01:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah - but I don’t trust him now.

Jim

IainB:
I think he did remove the "bad" version, though since he tried to sneak that in I won't use anything from him again. Screw me once,,,
-J-Mac (October 31, 2011, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah - but I don’t trust him now.
-J-Mac (November 02, 2011, 05:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 from me.     :up:

And now FF is in bed with the Corporate psychopath, Microsoft (re Bing).

And after the Google unilateral fiascos and/or removals:

* Google Notebook
* Google WAVE.
* Google SideWiki.
* Google Buzz.
* Google's software package download bundle.
* Google Desktop.
* Google Toolbar for Firefox.
* Google Plus.
* [Insert name of screw-up here]- I am similarly unimpressed and and am wondering whether it is rational of me to trust Google with my data and/or my email, my Google Groups, my Google Webpages, my Google knol, etc.

I say this because it seems that Google have now clearly indicated that we users really do not matter and that ALL of these things are now uncertain and under consideration and could be taken away by Google at the drop of a hat, regardless of whether you pay for them currently. That's one reason why, for example, I keep my backups under MY control, duplicated on separate hard drives.

cyberdiva:
And after the Google unilateral fiascos and/or removals:
Google Notebook
    Google WAVE.
    Google SideWiki.
    Google Buzz.
    Google's software package download bundle.
    Google Desktop.
    Google Toolbar for Firefox.
    Google Plus.
   [Insert name of screw-up here]

-IainB (November 02, 2011, 06:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

And don't forget Google's Translate Client, which has been free (and better than any other I know) but which will become unavailable after December unless one pays about $40 (they're offering $15 off if one buys it now).

J-Mac:
Also don’t forget one of my favorites, especially on a cell phone: Goog411, which was a voice recognition information directory. You could call it and it would ask what city; you tell it; then it asks what you are looking for and you tell it. It then returnedwith the name, address and number and asked if you wanted it to connect. Google stated last October that they conceived of that service in order to get as many voice samplings as possible to improve their voice recognition capabilities, and since they had more than enough samples they dropped the damn service. Well, at least they were honest about it, even if only after the fact.

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/10/google-shuts-down-goog-411.html

Thanks!

Jim

perlguy:
Before jumping all over the extension author about silent updates... make sure you know exactly how firerfox itself is configured to update any/all extensions.  If FF is set to have extensions auto-update as the default, then *you* have to tell it which extensions you want to be notified of updates before they are install.  It's not really his fault if FF did it on your behalf.  Personally, I'm glad he backed out the change - whether it was because of the backlash, or because of hijacking.   And I have now reverted (again) to manual updates only, for all extensions. (default = no updates, and all extensions reset to default update policy).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version