ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extension "Download Statusbar" Now Adware - Maybe Malware

<< < (5/8) > >>

cyberdiva:
Thanks, Jim, for mentioning Download Manager Tweak.  I'm obviously coming very late to the party, having never even heard of Download Statusbar until this thread, but Download Manager Tweak looks quite useful.  I don't see a "resume download" option, but it has most of what I've discovered I'd like.  :)

Tuxman:
"Open downloads in a new tab" is alright too. I just don't like window overload. :)

40hz:
"Open downloads in a new tab" is alright too. I just don't like window overload. :)
-Tuxman (October 29, 2011, 09:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1.

That looks like it's pretty much the only game in town for the time being.

IainB:
I should have mentioned above that, though I had "Download Statusbar", I don't have any dependence on it.

My downloads are handled variously:

* I only occasionally download using the FF downloader.
* I use FlashGot in FF, and that hands download control across to GetRight (downloader), which is can be very fast when files are segmented and the different segments are downloaded in parallel.
* I use DownloadHelper for YouTube downloads, which also hands downloads across to GetRight.

Nod5:
I'm very late to this thread. I've used Download Statusbar for years and haven't noticed anything unusual lately. No update information about it going adware, no nothing. I have version 0.9.10 right now. I also have a stylish script that makes downloadstatusbar more minimal. See screenshot. Maybe that blocks the problem? (Seems unlikely though.) I can't find any information about adware/sponsorship stuff in  "about" or "options" for the add-on. Maybe the bad version was removed and the original coder gained control back?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version