ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox Extension "Download Statusbar" Now Adware - Maybe Malware

<< < (3/8) > >>

40hz:
This morning I removed Download Status Bar from all my personal and business PCs. And I'll be issuing an advisory to all my clients recommending they do the same.

While it is possible to reinstall the previous version, I feel any program author has the absolute right to set the terms and conditions (no matter how misguided) for the continued use of their products. And since the current (albeit unspoken) terms for DSB now seem to include acceptance of silent installations and unreported changes to user settings, I want nothing further to do with it. Even if it would be possible to circumvent the changes by reverting to an earlier version.

To be perfectly blunt, I no longer trust this developer. And I am no longer interested in installing anything he may come up with in the future. No matter how useful or 'clean' it is. And that will remain the case even if he/she sees the wrongness in what's been done and removes the offending code from DSB.

I might have felt differently had the developer publicly announced the change. I might not have been happy about it. But at least I could better respect his decision. Especially if he provided a paid version which did not include the nonsense that would come with the free version. While I still would have removed DSB from my machines if a clean version wasn't available, in fairness I would only alert my clients rather than send a strong recommendation for DSB's immediate removal.

So it goes... :-\

Onward! :Thmbsup:

eleman:
The more striking part of the problem is how this version made it through mozilla's review.

A lone cash-strapped misguided developer may choose to act however (s)he likes.

But the question is what does mozilla's review process review, if not self-reverting spyware options?

IainB:
@J-Mac: Many thanks for this heads-up.
Fortunately I still had v0.9.8.
So, I went to Mozilla's site and it said somewhat informatively (NOT):
Download Statusbar no longer hosted here.
--- End quote ---
Anyway, as a result of reading this thread, and because I am paranoid, I first disabled and then uninstalled the add-on and restarted FF just to be sure.

The more striking part of the problem is how this version made it through mozilla's review.
-eleman (October 28, 2011, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, there's an unspoken potential criticism of Mozilla there - exactly how rigorous is their review process?
I always trusted them as a source, but I shall downgrade that trust now, until they make explanation. If they don't, then I would theink they probably don't properly understand their responsibilities.

Tuxman:
So is there a valid extension that does similar things around?

Ath:
I'll be investigating DownThemAll as an alternative. Been using DSB ever since FF 1.x, so I'm just as disappointed as all the rest in this thread so far. And yup, if I'd meet the DSB author and have a shotgun within hands reach...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version