ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hard drive shortage

<< < (11/19) > >>

db90h:
Amen, brutha.  I just started a business last year.  Seeing all this stuff makes me feel either of two ways: naive for insisting to make a buck the honest way; stupid for not coming up with these methods myself.
-superboyac (November 22, 2011, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is the problem I have too. At times I feel stupid for not playing these dirty tricks. However, they *do* come back to bite them in the long run, at least in many cases. Of course, then they open up shop under a new name and all is 'reset' and 'forgotten', lol.

Transparency is the key. If consumers could see more about what is going on, in unmanipulated format, then it would help, as it could theoretically affect their purchasing decisions. This is what the media is supposed to do, but sadly there are more paid for editorials than there is exposes on the internet.

mwb1100:
Has the demand really increased, a this author claims?
-superboyac (November 22, 2011, 03:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

My guess (and it's just a guess) is that if there's been a spike in demand it's due to panic buying and/or speculation.

db90h:
My guess (and it's just a guess) is that if there's been a spike in demand it's due to panic buying and/or speculation.
-mwb1100 (November 22, 2011, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I went through all this.. please read posts before. There would be NO SUPPLY SHORTAGE if there were not speculators, retailers holding inventory waiting for price stabilization, and panic'd buying. If none of this was in the news, nothing would have ever happened.

superboyac:
-mwb1100 (November 22, 2011, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

I went through all this.. please read posts before. There would be NO SUPPLY SHORTAGE if there were not speculators, retailers holding inventory waiting for price stabilization, and panic'd buying. If none of this was in the news, nothing would have ever happened.

-db90h (November 22, 2011, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's what I believe also.  I think if the news reported the flooding and didn't mention anything about possible hard drive supply impacts, nothing would have changed.  But, I also question whether or not the demand has really increased by that much.  have people really been trying to be buying more hard drives?  Or is that also a fabricated report, just to justify the previous prediction about the shortages, and basically an excuse to raise prices regardless of supply OR demand?

db90h:
One thing to remember is that some retailers immediately jacked up prices too, I mean the DAY of the news, when they had plenty of stock, and the distributors they buy from had plenty of stock.

Example:

Before occurrence of flooding this drive sold for $69 at Amazon.com /w free shipping.

Now
Amazon.com is currently selling WD20EARS for $174 /w free shipping (highest yet, I've been monitoring)
Tigerdirect.com is current selling WD20EARS for $209.99 + extra shipping (been that high for a while, they even tried higher iirc)

There is STILL plenty of stock in the supply chain. However, I do expect prices to be artificially inflated for 6 months or so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version