topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 7:14 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Run defrag and Antivirus scan in background while watching movie  (Read 4336 times)

arunkw

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I want to run defrag and Antivirus scan in background when I am watching movie i.e on VLC player. Since both these activities (and many more takes lot of time) It would be nice to get it done automatically while watching movies.

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Run defrag and Antivirus scan in background while watching movie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44 AM »
These actions take a lot of time and a lot of computational resources as well. Which is also true for watching (highdef) movies. If your PC has the "horsepower" to do all this in the background without making the movie you are watching stutter, then by all means do so.

But I fear that for most PC's the I/O throughput demanded by your request will cause a "less than optimal" viewing experience.

Windows 7 already keeps itself a lot more tidy than previous versions of Windows and by default is scheduled to run the (improved) Windows defrag software.

You could even create a simple batch script that starts the defrag software, the antivirus software and then VLC. When you have the urge to watch a movie, use the batch script and select the movie you want to see. That would be the simplest solution where you yourself are in total control.