topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FARR Super Laggy  (Read 3095 times)

DarkDestiny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FARR Super Laggy
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Hello fellow FARR users,

As of the past update, a problem that I cannot isolate has surfaced again. FARR as an entire program has slowed down to a crawl. Accessing any point of FARR crawls. The menu from the icon takes 5 seconds to come up; Calling FARR up from the background partially freezes it in the foreground before it is accessible; Surprisingly, the options menu is completely empty. No matter which branch item I select, nothing shows up on the right.

I've emptied out the FARR folder before reinstalling with no plugins to ensure my set up is not causing the issue. Strangely, a reinstall of FARR unlags it. After restarting though, the same problem happens again. I have no clue where to proceed from here to solve the issue. Any ideas guys?

Thanks,
DD

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Super Laggy
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 09:42 AM »
ok here's something to try:

next time it lags, do this:

first, see if hiding far and then bringing farr back up fixes all lag issue. if so, does the lag return in 5-10 minutes?

if so -- then we are dealing with some form of slowdown related to the operating system moving farr out of memory or moving the searched directory caches out of memory, or network file access slowdown.

also try this: go to options and find the launch history tab and right-click to clear the results of launch history.  if that helps, then it could be your launch history is slowing it down -- this can happen usually if you have network drives. do you?

DarkDestiny

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FARR Super Laggy
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44 PM »
Hi Mouser.

Thank you for the response, and sorry for my late one.

Regarding your first suggestion, I'm not 100% sure what you mean by hiding far. I'm guessing you mean let it sit in toolbar and bring it back? The program lags from the first moment, and only unlags if I reinstall. I tried letting it sit in the background. It neither increases or decreases the lag.

The second option does not apply. I neither have network drives or a launch history as I deleted it all when I wiped the folder clean on the reinstall.

I'm testing another possible reason now. I managed to unlag FARR. I closed \online armor 4.5, which seemed to unlag it. Opening it again did not seem to lag FARR. Strangely enough, I run this set up on another laptop and have no problems. I'll report back after replicating the results a few times.

Thanks,
DD

Edit: As it turns out, something was weird with Online Armor. I think the permissions were somehow screwed up despite my giving FARR trusted privileges. I'm guessing OA severely delayed FARR's response to my commands. In any case, I'm glad it's working fine again, and I hope if anyone ever has a problem this thread comes up, and they test their HIPS program. A complete removal and reinstall fixed the issue.

Thanks for your help Mouser, and anyone else that read the thread trying to find a solution.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:13 AM by DarkDestiny »