ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Albany City & NY State Police refuse orders to arrest peaceful protestors

<< < (4/5) > >>

Renegade:
The Shocking, Graphic Data That Shows Exactly What Motivates the Occupy Movement
http://www.alternet.org/story/152811/the_shocking,_graphic_data_that_shows_exactly_what_motivates_the_occupy_movement?page=entire

Oh, there won't be any EU or anything else in 50 years worth of time - we'll all be Chinamen by then, so no worries. I don't plan on sticking around for that long anyway :)-f0dder (October 26, 2011, 02:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I turned 50 yesterday, which means I'm living on free time from here out. The sooner I check out, the easier life gets from here on. I'm one of the very few people I know who doesn't want to live forever. The planet just added its 7 billionth person this week and that's too damn many people belching, farting, and texting.
-zridling (October 27, 2011, 12:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't you dare checkout! You're not allowed to! You're my source for wicked amazing information like that stuff above. You'd be doing everyone a disservice!  :-*

Having a read there... Cripes... Out. Of. Control.

The graphics do an amazing job of illustrating the problem. In particular, I think this one is very telling:

I've had this in the back of my mind for a long time -- while productivity increases, the value there filters to the top, with nothing coming back down. People are being asked to produce more for no additional benefit. This seems fundamentally wrong to me. It seems outright predatory.

Stoic Joker:
People are being asked to produce more for no additional benefit. This seems fundamentally wrong to me. It seems outright predatory.-Renegade (October 27, 2011, 01:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

It seems like the corporations are trying to bring back a kinder, gentler version of slavery. We never get paid enough to buy our freedom, and the marketing machine handles all the whip cracking by keeping us wanting/indebted for more pointless toys that keep our pockets sucked nice and dry.

Renegade:
...slavery...
-Stoic Joker (October 27, 2011, 06:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

THANK YOU!

You've nailed it.

nudone:
the polemic documentaries by Adam Curtis (available online) go a long way to explain where we are and how we got here. i'm sure there are more thorough explanations of modern history (and alternative explanations) but Curtis has a good way of getting the connections and detail across. they are the kind of documentaries that make you finally see the bigger picture and make you wonder why you didn't wake-up sooner to it all. (well, each one made me feel exhausted after having so much information pumped into my skull.)

so, after watching such things, yep, i have to say we really are a more enlightened form of slave.

it's taken a long time and a lot of calculation to get to this almost perfect state of manipulation. we really ought to feel like we have been molested or violated each and every day - and be outraged accordingly.

but, as ever, I shall now close my eyes and go back to sleep and pretend none of it really concerns me.

xtabber:
OMG! Two separate police agencies remembered they're living in the United States of America and refused to be used as political goon squads.

Can  this be the first indication that sanity is finally starting to return to America after an 11-year hiatus?  :huh:
-40hz (October 25, 2011, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

This sounds so uplifting that I hate to be the cynic who punctures the balloon, but this has more to do with the Capital District and NY State police unions letting NY governor Cuomo know that if he thinks he can force more cutbacks on them by threatening furloughs, they can push back too.

I live in Massachusetts, but in the Albany,NY media market, so I am exposed daily to the toxic sludge emanating from the NY State government, and it is impossible to be too cynical about them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version