topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Captain Forever (+ Successor, Imposter and Jameson Alpha) for $9 !!  (Read 10822 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
IndieGamer points out that Captain Forever is currently on sale...

For $9 you gain access to Captain Forever, the sequel Captain Successor, the quirky sister game Captain Imposter and the alpha version of the forthcoming Captain Jameson. You'll also receive all future updates and games in the series for free.

cf2.jpgCaptain Forever (+ Successor, Imposter and Jameson Alpha) for $9 !!cs1.pngCaptain Forever (+ Successor, Imposter and Jameson Alpha) for $9 !!

So what is Captain Forever? Well it is like Space Invaders meets Asteroids meets Elite all made out of Lego! You begin as a tiny vulnerable command module floating in space and must fight for your life, destroying the space pirates that are out to destroy you. If you manage to blow-up their command module the remaining parts of their ship can be harvested and snapped on to your own. Redesign your ship to be faster and stronger, then go out hunting for tougher foes with better kit to steal!

The game takes a fair bit of skill: you'll be using both hands (keyboard to pilot the ship, and mouse to grab components and attach them to your ship) and a good dose of strategy: knowing when to back off, setting two pirates fighting each other, shrinking down to a tiny ship to sneak inside the framework of a massive craft to take out its core.

While Captain Forever is free to play and is great fun for a couple of hours, but things really take off in the sequels...

Captain Successor adds a huge number of new components (sniper lazers, torpedos, homing missiles, sprint boosts, shields etc etc) which allow for many more ship designs.

Captain Imposter adds a whole new look and an interesting cloning mechanic, whereby you steal ship designs from your opponents.

Captain Jameson is building a whole universe with dockable space-stations, asteroid fields, more new ship components and breathable atmospheres!

NOTE: I have no affiliation with Farbs who writes the games, indeed I only discover the joys of the Captain series yesterday, but wanted to spread the word!

Enjoy :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 02:34 PM by Ampa, Reason: Spellings! »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
Re: Captain Forever (+ Successor, Imposter and Jameson Alpha) for $9 !!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 06:25 PM »
Really enjoying Captain Jameson...

My ship (on the left next to a space station) after an hours play...

CJameson.png

Finally got my hands on some Beta level hardware (the yellow sniping lasers) plus a repair unit and chronos device (speeds up other modules).

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 03:33 PM »
Thanks for the info !
.merle1.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 11:39 PM »
I tried Captain Forever and I just kept getting murdilized. I'd go blow up another ship and while I was trying to improve my own ship bigger, more powerful ships would come and blow me up with my half-finished Frankenstein creation.

:-\

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NECRO THREAD ARISE!

I bought this game back when it was mentioned in this thread, but never really played it other than for perhaps an hour the day I bought it. I felt like it was still too early in development and I was waiting for it to feel more finished. (That's just the impression I had about the game then, maybe it was finished after all.)

I saw an officially licensed Captain Forever game show up on Steam recently (in late March) and looked into it but right now it's Early Access, which almost always guarantees I'm not interested (yet) in it due to too many stories about some Early Access games never delivering on their promises.

So it may or may not be good/fun for people who enjoy the Captain Forever games. That said, I've come across something else that is similar, but has been much more enjoyable for me in the small amount of time I've had to play it.

It's called Reassemly.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Captain Forever Trilogy on Steam
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 11:50 AM »
NECRO THREAD ARISE! (again)

The Captain Forever Trilogy is now on Steam. I got an email this morning, which ended up in my spam box, giving me a free Steam key for the Captain Forever Trilogy, since I bought the game so many years ago.

Good news! Captain Forever is now on Steam, and as a Captain Forever supporter you get a key.
Here it is:

[KEY HERE]

This key will let you play Captain Forever Trilogy, which includes Captain Forever, Captain Successor, and Captain Impostor, all rebuilt as standalone full screen out-of-browser experiences with a new renderer, new audio, new parts, and a ton of new and revised narrative content by award winning novelist Kassandra Khaw.

So if you bought the game, check whatever email address you may have used to do so and look for that free Steam key. :Thmbsup: