ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Keeping track of software license/serial keys

<< < (8/9) > >>

app103:
I keep the info in 3 places:

* Save original email in a folder just for license info emails.

* Save a plain text file of the info with the archived setup file for the application. (don't need anything special installed to read it)

* Save the info in Keepass. (I also keep CD keys here)

Ralf Maximus:
I keep the info in 3 places:

* Save original email in a folder just for license info emails.

* Save a plain text file of the info with the archived setup file for the application. (don't need anything special installed to read it)

* Save the info in Keepass. (I also keep CD keys here)-app103 (November 16, 2007, 08:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

I do that too, except for the Keepass step.

My 3rd step that has saved my butt a few times, especially when building a new Windows installation from scratch:  print out a copy of the email registration and stash it in my desk.  Nothing beats having a stack of papers to work from if your workstation is partially crippled...

app103:
I used to keep the info on tiny pieces of paper taped to the bottom of my keyboard, back when I didn't have that much software. This method was actually suggested by the first company I purchased software from, as they will charge you to retrieve lost keys after the 3rd time. At the time I thought it was a smart thing and did it with all my software.

But after my collection grew larger, and I had to replace a keyboard, this became impractical.

Darwin:
I use ClipMate to save serial numbers. I have a separate "safe" clip collection and keep everything there in addition to saving the emails as txt files.. I *should* use Roboform as well, as a form of insurance...

Ralf Maximus:
I have a separate "safe" clip collection and keep everything there in addition to saving the emails as txt files...

--- End quote ---

Speaking of safe (har), I would suggest purchasing a small, fire-proof, WATER-proof fire-safe for storing discs that cannot be easily replaced.  The smaller ones are not expensive, maybe $90 at an office supply chain.  Size of a bread box, and capable of storing a few dozen DVDs.

"Media safes" are more expensive, but guarantee the internal temperature will not exceed a safe threshold and melt your DVDs.

"Water proof" is important, since if worse comes to worse your place does catch fire, what'll they use to put the fire out?  Yeah.  A fire-fighter buddy clued me in about this essential requirement.  These safes have a rubber gasket around the door and really aren't intended for deep-sea diving; they just keep the rain out.

Sometimes you can get a bargain on damaged safes.  I got my 24" cube media safe for $110 USD because the lock is broken.  Who cares?  Thieves don't want my family pictures.

Anyway, if you don't have a small safe -- look into it.  It's like Murphy's law: if you have one, you'll never need it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version