topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Keeping track of software license/serial keys  (Read 37460 times)

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Keeping track of software license/serial keys
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2006, 07:13 AM »
As I have also said elsewhere, anyone who wants to be a Software Hero of the People should write a notetaking file conversion program  :)  Something of the sort should be possible, no doubt with limitations.

If all notetaking programmes agreed to export to xml it'd be relatively simple to transform that into an import xml file for a different notetaking programme.

KeePass seems to me a good and useful tool, as long as you accept that it's narrowly-focussed

Just had a look at KeePass and it does infact look excellent: very similar to PINs (my current standard). PINs has a better Auto-Text entry and URL definition, but KeePass could produce better trees (deep).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2006, 08:16 AM »
If all notetaking programmes agreed to export to xml it'd be relatively simple to transform that into an import xml file for a different notetaking programme.

Some of them use XML as their native format, e.g. Treeline and ShadowPlan, though the latter's more focussed on Palms.

Two things.  One, as I understand it, XML may be an open format, but it isn't necessarily easy to work with.  You rapidly run into an alphabet soup of acronyms.  Two, the original post wanted a way to store registration information, so any format should be encrypted, which would mean it wasn't true XML any longer (OK, the app should be able to export in a clear format, or at least to have encryption removed).

Just had a look at KeePass and it does infact look excellent: very similar to PINs (my current standard). PINs has a better Auto-Text entry and URL definition, but KeePass could produce better trees (deep).

How much better auto-text?  Also, how complex does one really need?  Is a RoboForm fan going to jump in here?

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 08:35 AM »

Two things.  One, as I understand it, XML may be an open format, but it isn't necessarily easy to work with.  You rapidly run into an alphabet soup of acronyms.

Sure, but the XSLT would be specific and transform one format to the other format. User doesn't need to see the xml.

Two, the original post wanted a way to store registration information, so any format should be encrypted, which would mean it wasn't true XML any longer (OK, the app should be able to export in a clear format, or at least to have encryption removed).

That's right: the Apps database would be in its original (encrypted) format and it would only export the data as XML.

How much better auto-text?  Also, how complex does one really need?  Is a RoboForm fan going to jump in here?

It's got it's own field (not part of notes) and has a pop-up to insert the various variables and constants for you (means I don't have to remember what's what). So not more complex, just easier to use.  :)

Similarly the URL is in its own field in PINs not part of the notes as in KeePass.

BUT I really liked the ability in KeePass to have n-Deep Trees!! ...and chose your own icons!!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 10:17 AM »
My license keys are all stored in fsekrit.  I keep a copy on my computer, my palm's SD card, my usb drive and a copy on my ftp server.

Keeping multiple copies is a *** GOOD *** idea: encryption is obviously vital: it helps if data files are small: and it's always nice if it's free.  So, people might like to consider MemPad by Horst Schaeffer

Direct link: http://home.mnet-onl...t.muc/win/mempad.zip

Don't go straight for 2.52 beta, may be some problems, go for 2.51 which is solid.  MemPad is not a full tree-form notetaking software, it just looks and feels like it.  It's very small, very fast, completely free, and encrypted.  My list of about 300 nodes is about 100K.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2006, 10:35 AM »
pmowbray,

Two things.  One, as I understand it, XML may be an open format, but it isn't necessarily easy to work with.  You rapidly run into an alphabet soup of acronyms.

Sure, but the XSLT would be specific and transform one format to the other format. User doesn't need to see the xml.

But I don't know what an XSLT is...  see what I mean about alphabet soup?  I wouldn't expect to have the know-how to do the conversions myself.

Oh, just remembered; the author of Treeline says it can be used as a "crude" (his word) XML editor, if that's any use to anyone.

It's got it's own field (not part of notes) and has a pop-up to insert the various variables and constants for you

So, simply more powerful, then.  I think I very briefly looked at PINS but dumped it.  Probably didn't look hard enough, and came to KeePass after I'd more or less forgotten the others...

So not more complex, just easier to use.  :)

I didn't make that clear, again.  I was wondering aloud how complex the tasks of logging in would/should actually be, which is some of what dictates how complex the program needs to be to match.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2007, 12:16 PM »
I use KeePass and RoboForm (the safenotes feature) to store important stuff like serial numbers, accounts, etc. Before that I just had a directory with .txt files for each program - actually I think I also used my email account to send (or save drafts - gmail, etc.) myself the codes/numbers, then after that I started using fSekrit, but now the two programs I mentioned first are my main tools for the job  ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Wow, all the threads today have the same theme!

Again, I use Evernote to track all my SW reg codes. I like having all my data in one place, readily available. I'm using Evernote to track all my contacts, web passwords, sw registrations, recipes, etc.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2007, 12:30 PM »
Wow, all the threads today have the same theme!

Just the ones I'm posting in! Today (for me) is, Password Manager theme day..  ;D hehe, j/k
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

katykaty

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2007, 02:26 PM »
I use Password Agent from Moon Software

http://www.moonsoftware.com/pwagent.asp

I've also downloaded something from Comodo (iVault I think) but haven't tried it out yet.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 04:32 AM »
I use KeePass and RoboForm (the safenotes feature) to store important stuff like serial numbers, accounts, etc.

Sounds like you're already suited, but you might like to look at MemPad which is a small, fast, portable, tree-style notekeeper with encryption.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2007, 08:56 PM »
I keep the info in 3 places:

• Save original email in a folder just for license info emails.
  • Save a plain text file of the info with the archived setup file for the application. (don't need anything special installed to read it)
  • Save the info in Keepass. (I also keep CD keys here)

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 08:59 PM »
I keep the info in 3 places:

• Save original email in a folder just for license info emails.
  • Save a plain text file of the info with the archived setup file for the application. (don't need anything special installed to read it)
  • Save the info in Keepass. (I also keep CD keys here)

I do that too, except for the Keepass step.

My 3rd step that has saved my butt a few times, especially when building a new Windows installation from scratch:  print out a copy of the email registration and stash it in my desk.  Nothing beats having a stack of papers to work from if your workstation is partially crippled...

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 09:07 PM »
I used to keep the info on tiny pieces of paper taped to the bottom of my keyboard, back when I didn't have that much software. This method was actually suggested by the first company I purchased software from, as they will charge you to retrieve lost keys after the 3rd time. At the time I thought it was a smart thing and did it with all my software.

But after my collection grew larger, and I had to replace a keyboard, this became impractical.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 09:17 PM »
I use ClipMate to save serial numbers. I have a separate "safe" clip collection and keep everything there in addition to saving the emails as txt files.. I *should* use Roboform as well, as a form of insurance...

Ralf Maximus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2007, 09:32 PM »
I have a separate "safe" clip collection and keep everything there in addition to saving the emails as txt files...

Speaking of safe (har), I would suggest purchasing a small, fire-proof, WATER-proof fire-safe for storing discs that cannot be easily replaced.  The smaller ones are not expensive, maybe $90 at an office supply chain.  Size of a bread box, and capable of storing a few dozen DVDs.

"Media safes" are more expensive, but guarantee the internal temperature will not exceed a safe threshold and melt your DVDs.

"Water proof" is important, since if worse comes to worse your place does catch fire, what'll they use to put the fire out?  Yeah.  A fire-fighter buddy clued me in about this essential requirement.  These safes have a rubber gasket around the door and really aren't intended for deep-sea diving; they just keep the rain out.

Sometimes you can get a bargain on damaged safes.  I got my 24" cube media safe for $110 USD because the lock is broken.  Who cares?  Thieves don't want my family pictures.

Anyway, if you don't have a small safe -- look into it.  It's like Murphy's law: if you have one, you'll never need it.

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2007, 06:02 AM »
You could use my fSekrit to store registration keys :p - I personally use it for passwords for various things now.

I have an fSekrit file with all my registration keys in it; another with various website logins.  Good stuff.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2007, 06:45 AM »
You could use my fSekrit to store registration keys :p - I personally use it for passwords for various things now.

I have an fSekrit file with all my registration keys in it; another with various website logins.  Good stuff.
:-* :-* :-*
- carpe noctem

hwtan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2007, 10:10 PM »
I keep two copies, one in a text file in an volume encrypted by TrueCrypt on the HDD, and another in my phone.
I chose text file so that i can open it with minimum software needs when I reinstall windows.