topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 7:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Keeping track of software license/serial keys  (Read 37563 times)

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Keeping track of software license/serial keys
« on: March 18, 2006, 11:59 PM »
I am just curious on how people are keeping track of their software license/serial keys and other purchasing infos.

Do you just write them down on a txt file, excel spreadsheet, some kind of DB or archive the registration emails?

Over the years, I purchased software using different email addresses and find myself having trouble digging them back up from all over the place!!!

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Keeping track of software license/serial keys
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 12:41 AM »
I use "anypassword" from romanlab - its simple, does what I need it for and is free.
http://www.romanlab.com/apw/index.html

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:55 AM »
Well, for me, this goes back to my long thread for the brainstorming of notetaking applications:
https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=2362.0

I keep all my licenses in my notetaking program, and I like to have it password protected, of course.  That's why I like the programs that offer some sort of encryption or password protection for the notes.  But I don't do it in excel or something totally simple like that.  And I also don't like most of those pieces of software that are specifically designed for password storage or license storage and stuff.  TO me, these pieces of information all belong in one general information collection application.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 05:18 AM »
I would like to see something along these lines. I tried AnyPassword [correction - I treied KeePass - I'll take a look at AnyPassword] and it will do the job but only by using fields available for other pruposes which I don't find an attractive solution.

I started a similar thread a while back. Whilst my request was slightly different in nature it led to a similar discussion about storage and the beginnings of an app to do it from PhilKC and a suggestion from skrommel. See here

PS Tony ...
I haven't forgotten about the DVD - just been manic around here and I haven't had time to get it sorted out properly

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 05:23 AM by Carol Haynes »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:33 AM »
Actually AnyPassword does a fair job for what I need.

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 06:08 AM »
I have started using SafeNotes in Roboform for this purpose - just one note per license.  Works well for me.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 06:12 AM »
I
PS Tony ...
I haven't forgotten about the DVD - just been manic around here and I haven't had time to get it sorted out properly

-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 05:18 AM)
PS Carol :)
no probs - I can relate to that. I'm thinking school work 23.9/7 .. not good!! Take your time.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 06:19 AM »
Actually AnyPassword does a fair job for what I need.
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 05:33 AM)
One aspect of anypasswords that appealed to me was the ease of saving/moving the actual password file. Ive had a couple of calamitous h/d events at least one thing I could count on was quickly and easily  getting access to my passwords again

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 06:25 AM »
You could use my fSekrit to store registration keys :p - I personally use it for passwords for various things now.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 06:41 AM »
I have started using SafeNotes in Roboform for this purpose - just one note per license.  Works well for me.

One of the nice things about AnyPassword (which doesn't interfere with RoboForm as the free version isn't automatic) is that the fiedls have a single click to copy to the clipboard function. You can enter user name and serial number separately, then the webaddress for updates and finally a copy of your internet receipts in a free format field. I think I am getting converted to this.

Plus it is encrypted and everything is stored as a single file which you can put anywhere - including a removable drive (eg. a thumb drive).

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 01:06 PM »
My license keys are all stored in fsekrit.  I keep a copy on my computer, my palm's SD card, my usb drive and a copy on my ftp server.  I'm not losing them any time soon :)

longrun

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 01:20 PM »
I think Allen got it right, in that you don't really need to keep track of your license keys until your hard drive crashes or you want to reinstall elsewhere. If you just use a password manager on your HD, do you really want to have to restore from backup to access things?

A related point: storage of notes about what you installed,how, and other configuration data. As I install software I keep a log on my old Psion 5mx PDA (obsolete but useful keyboard), with backup on my PC. If I need to set up a new machine but don't want to clone  the old, I have easy, independent access to my notes.

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:28 PM »
Yes, I am very interested in a program like this.   I have a notebook (now) that I write things down in, but of course sometimes you can't read your own writing!

Lynn

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 08:35 PM »
What is fSekrit and where can I find it?  Sounds interesting.

Lynn

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 08:44 PM »
What is fSekrit and where can I find it?  Sounds interesting.

https://www.donation...tware/Other/fSekrit/

lrosebur

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 08:47 PM »
Thank you so much for the info.  I am going to try it.

Lynn :-*

vamp07

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 09:20 PM »
I used to palm notes. Now I keep all this stuff categorized as "serials" in gmail.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 04:24 AM »
Lynn, be sure to check out the beta/test version of fSekrit that's in the bottom of this thread - it has text searching (Ctrl+F) making it altogether more useful than the previous version :)
- carpe noctem

Perry Mowbray

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 08:24 AM »
I've been using http://www.mirekw.com/winfreeware/pins.html for my passwords for as long as I can remember, so I also keep a separate file for software licences, keys, etc.

I've tried quite a few password programmes over the years (for short periods) but nothing comes close to PINs (for my liking anyway): which is really odd, as I don't see it promoted very much  :huh:

If I was more organised I'd probably use a NoteTaking program like http://www.surfulater.com/, which gives me a huge number of options for keeping bits of information about a programme... but I'm not that organised  :-[
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 08:27 AM by pmowbray »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2006, 09:03 AM »
I used to palm notes. Now I keep all this stuff categorized as "serials" in gmail.

vamp07,

Take a look at this DC thread on Downloading your Gmail account, which points out that it's unsafe to rely too heavily on Gmail.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2006, 09:15 AM »
One of the nice things about AnyPassword (which doesn't interfere with RoboForm as the free version isn't automatic) is that the fiedls have a single click to copy to the clipboard function.
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 06:41 AM)

CarolHaynes,

One of the nice things about KeePass is that it can enter the data without accidentally copying it to a clipboard enhancer, that is, it apparently understands at least some clipboard enhancers and circumvents them (at least, that's the effect).  I certainly don't see the data appearing in the free version of ClipCache.  On the other hand, KeePass is meant for storing just passwords/logon data, not registration information: and the avoid-the-clipboard trick is probably more important for day-to-day logons than rare and occasional (we hope) re-entering of program registration details.

I suppose one could use DS Software's PassPack, which just gives you an encrypted note, and store the emails.  It's tiny, free, and stores data in one small file, but it wouldn't have many convenience features.

vamp07

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2006, 09:15 AM »
Yeah I do keep a copy of my gmail offline. As good as I am about doing backups trust gmail more.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2006, 09:23 AM »
superboyac,

I keep all my licenses in my notetaking program

But as I have said elsewhere, the number of notetaking applications is approaching astronomical.  What are you going to do when your current favourite is superceded?  It probably won't be easy to convert from one format to another.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2006, 09:55 AM »
superboyac,
But as I have said elsewhere, the number of notetaking applications is approaching astronomical.  What are you going to do when your current favourite is superceded?  It probably won't be easy to convert from one format to another.

True, true.  I've thought about that.  Here's what I'm thinking, if ever I need to transfer my notes elsewhere, most of these notetaking programs have SOME kind of export feature.  Now, they may not be that helpful in the sense that it can go directly from program to program, but I'm hoping that once  the notes are exported, they can be processed somehow with a little bit of work to be imported into whatever the new program I have chosen.  Yeah, it's a pain, but that's how I prefer it right now.

Keepass looks cool, I need to check it out.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2006, 06:07 AM »
I'm hoping that once  the notes are exported, they can be processed somehow with a little bit of work to be imported into whatever the new program I have chosen.  Yeah, it's a pain

As I have also said elsewhere, anyone who wants to be a Software Hero of the People should write a notetaking file conversion program  :)  Something of the sort should be possible, no doubt with limitations.  The author of Jot+ Notes offers his registered users a free-standing tool to convert numerous other formats into Jot+ format.  Export to text file and re-import may be possible, but I suspect with a lot of work.

KeePass seems to me a good and useful tool, as long as you accept that it's narrowly-focussed.