ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Magic thinking in Europe - Solving the EU debt problem.

<< < (2/2)

rgdot:
Since the whole system is based on some form of magic (dividends, futures, forecasts) why would this be any different?

IainB:
Since the whole system is based on some form of magic (dividends, futures, forecasts) why would this be any different?
-rgdot (October 30, 2011, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---
+1 from me.    :Thmbsup:     ;D

johnk:
-rgdot (October 30, 2011, 05:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Because this time, there is no way out. They can't fudge it. The Euro will break up, either in a controlled way, or an implosion. Either way, the effect on the world will be pretty horrible. Not just the economic side of things, which will be bad for most countries and devastating for others, but serious social unrest is very likely, and historically, that leads to growing popularity for extreme political movements, armed conflict...

This isn't fantasy. The only reason the Euro hasn't broken up yet is that Germany is holding it together. And the only reason Germany is holding it together is that Merkel is clever enough to realise that, whatever way the cards fall, Germany is screwed. So she's putting off the inevitable for as long as possible.

rgdot:
^ We were told the same (accounting for differences in time and place) before the US based bailout of 2008/09. The only implosion possible is of the system - so-called capitalism - itself.  As far as some measures causing social unrest that may be inevitable whether or not this magic materializes or not. Already headed to a time when it's a fight between "entitlements" vs. "reduced government".

Besides it is in the interest of all those supplying (China perhaps in this case) to accommodate so actually that implosion might not even happen or be postponed for a few generations.

Renegade:
Everyone, understandably, ignores me and continues drinking their beer.
-johnk (October 30, 2011, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yum. Beer.
-IainB (October 30, 2011, 04:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

+24 for me~!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version