topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: USB Safely Remove, 50% discount on January 17th  (Read 24168 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: USB Safely Remove, 50% discount on January 17th
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 10:49 PM »
cyberdiva,

That sure sounds close enough to my issue. USB Safely Remove was never in the visible systray, but was always up in the pane where the hidden tray icons reside. So the arrow to open that pane shouldn’t have affected any icons within the pane itself, or so I thought. Now I wonder if they somehow have the area around the icon set too large. I'm not sure of the correct term for that offhand, but I do know that clickable icons have an area, a "halo" of sorts, configured so that clicking anywhere within that area is the same as clicking directly on the icon. It's particularly helpful for very tiny icons! But if that clickable area around an icon is set too large I imagine that it would consider clicks on the surrounding icons to be clicks on itself. (Am I making any sense at all??)

Unfortunately I don’t know exactly how to check that; I think it is in the coding for the icon. Have to look into it a bit deeper I guess.

Thanks!

Jim

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 02:34 AM »
You're aware that the status pop-up appears as soon as you hover the mouse over the USBSR icon long enough? Might be quite short on some systems, but I wouldn't know how to set the delay. It's responding quite fast on my current system, could be around 150 - 200 msec. and maybe even less. Might be a registry setting, but I couldn't find it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 05:48 AM »
Ath,

That is probably what is happening. Happens pretty fast here; actually very fast. Quite annoying when it is that fast. Should be configurable as you can't stop it as is.

Thanks!

Jim

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 09:46 AM »
I don't know where these settings reside, but I think all the icons in the system tray (including the "hidden" icons) are set to produce some kind of message when you hover over them with the mouse.  In some cases, such as with Linkman Pro, HyperSnap, and ActiveWords, all that pops up is just an identification of the program (e.g., "Linkman Pro").  But some programs provide more information: how many new messages are in my Gmail accounts, for example, the contents of the current clip highlighted in ClipMate, or the state of my computer's battery charge ("Fully charged - 100%").  Apparently USBSR is set to have the popup appear.  I might add that I've arranged to have USBSR always visible rather than stuck in the "hidden icons" section.  However, I just tried to see what would happen if I put it in the hidden icons section instead ("show only notifications").  I did not get the same result you did, Jim.  If I hover near or over the up arrows, that does not trigger a USBSR popup message.  Only if I go into the hidden icon section and hover over or slightly to the right of the USBSR icon will the popup be triggered.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Just to show they have a sense of humor - I guess - they just sent me another upgrade email!

Jim

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 09:00 AM »
You can disable the "menu on mouse hover" in Options->Behavioiur. Look for "Device stop menu" and deselect "show menu on mouse hover above the system tray icon"... Well, in Zentimo, anyway. I'm not on my machine with USB Safely Removed installed, so can't verify that this works on it.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Thanks Mike. At first I thought I might have uninstalled it but it's still here, so I fired it up and changed that setting.

Jim