ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What happens after a Cloud changes Types?

<< < (3/5) > >>

cyberdiva:
Well, I'm curious to see how this all plays out.  I have two gmail accounts, one that I use for a lot of email, and the other that I use for very specialized email.  For some reason, it is this secondary account whose address I use for Google Reader, and when a friend invited me to join Google+, I used the secondary account for that as well because it had almost no contacts.  The last thing I wanted was for Google+ to start pawing through the list of contacts in my primary email account, as I have heard it has done with other people. 

Thus far, I have had no problem with this arrangement, especially since Google makes it easy to switch back and forth between my two user accounts.  However, if Google begins to insist that everything I do (Gmail, Google Reader, Google+) is done from the same account, I don't know what I'll do.  I'm hoping it won't come to that.

wraith808:
I don't think so... a lot of people have a lot of google accounts- especially given the fact that corporations use it.  Including my google apps accounts, I have 5 accounts, and I don't think I'm alone in that number.

What's this pawing through contacts bit?  It has my contacts in the list that I can put into circles, but that's the extent of it, and I'd not heard anything about that.

zridling:
It's not lock-in, but Google is using a velvet rope approach to luring you to use their expanded services. That's why they let you take your data with you, and that's good, assuming the next cloud service will allow you to upload it. It's also best to have at least two google/gmail/plus accounts, for when one gets hacked. (And it's free backup.)

40hz:
I think it will only be a problem if you are required to have the G+ "social" rather than just the basic gmail account in order to get any other service from Google.
-40hz (October 24, 2011, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

There's not a difference, really.  Not much of one in any case- it's just activated services...
-wraith808 (October 24, 2011, 09:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Except anonymity?

wraith808:
^ You had that?  How?  Or did you just fool yourself into thinking you did?

My point is, you had a google account.  When you signed up for gmail, you signed up for one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version