topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 10:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newb - Question about monitoring activity on a network  (Read 7305 times)

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Newb - Question about monitoring activity on a network
« on: October 21, 2011, 08:59 AM »
I'm flinching as I post this.  I'm very new to the forums and am sure I'm posting this in the wrong section.  However, this is how I'll learn.    :-\  I have a simple home network and would like to analyze the activity on that network.  Where should I begin?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Newb - Question about monitoring activity on a network
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 09:16 AM »
First, tell us which operating system you're using. Then let's go from there.  :)  (and if you're using Windows, which version)

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:20 AM »
Hi,
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium. 

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 09:22 AM »
Also, I would like to monitor the PS3 activity, dishnetwork and other computers on the network.  (Spouse, kids, etc.)  Thanks for your interest.  :D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Do you want to do this in order to monitor for performance and usage reasons (if you don't have an unlimited internet plan); or are you more looking for keeping and eye on who's doing and saying what and where?

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35 AM »
It's more about the 'who's doing and saying what and where'.  But I'm not paranoid...  ;D

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 09:35 AM »
And to a lesser degree, I would like to track the usage & performance.  I am inquisitive. 

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I'm a linux guy, wouldn't know. You might try unplugging the PS3 and see who whines the loudest!  ;D

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 03:10 PM »
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the full potential of URL Snooper.  Will it monitor activity on my network or just my computer?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 03:22 PM »
There's a couple of articles on eHow.com that show how to do this for free... not the best tools, but they work:

Monitoring Each Computer Separately
Monitoring the network from a central computer
Monitor Network usage per computer

Other free software I've found that might help in one way or another...

IPAudit
iTrafficMonitor
Fiddler
Networx

None of these are "fire and forget"; you'll have to do some work.  If you want something that just monitors (and something that monitors non-pc devices), I think you'll have to pay for it.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01 AM »
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the full potential of URL Snooper.  Will it monitor activity on my network or just my computer?
URL snooper will only capture the network activity of your computer.
There are a few tools that might help you see other people's network activity, such as wireshark.

However, ultimately, your ability to do this depends on your network configuration. If all devices were connected to a hubw, all network packets will be flooded to all machines in the network (and thus your computer may get and listen to other people's packages). However, you most probably have a network routerw, which means you probably have a switchw, which sends the packets only to their correct destination. If so, then your best shot is looking in your router's configuration page to see if it has any way of getting a log of the traffic that goes through it, or installing a new firmware that allows you to do it (this might not be the best option, if you are not comfortable with doing it).

capnjeff

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:22 AM »
URL snooper will only capture the network activity of your computer.
There are a few tools that might help you see other people's network activity, such as wireshark.

However, ultimately, your ability to do this depends on your network configuration. If all devices were connected to a hubw, all network packets will be flooded to all machines in the network (and thus your computer may get and listen to other people's packages). However, you most probably have a network routerw, which means you probably have a switchw, which sends the packets only to their correct destination. If so, then your best shot is looking in your router's configuration page to see if it has any way of getting a log of the traffic that goes through it, or installing a new firmware that allows you to do it (this might not be the best option, if you are not comfortable with doing it).

Fairpoint installed their all in one wireless router/modem this summer.  I will get the model information today and do some research.  Again, thanks to all for your help.  Also, I'm not looking so much for free, but whether what I want is available here.  I will be donating. 

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 05:43 AM »
+1 for what  wraith808 said.