topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Do I need CHS or something else?  (Read 3012 times)

Rhonda427

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Do I need CHS or something else?
« on: October 22, 2011, 07:00 AM »
I have looked at CHS, ClipMate and many others but cannot seem to find the right thing. Can see that many in this forum has tried a lot so hope for some inspiration.
What I am looking for is a way of storing a lot of text phrases, numbers etc., for example bank account number, email signatures, account numbers and so on. I work for different companies, so for example need the address of one company, then the reg.nr. of a another and etc. Would like to have a quick way from where my cursor is, to lookup in a program and dig down via a three structure, pick the right piece of info, and then return it to the cursor position. This could be accomplished by Autohotkey or PhraseExpress, but need something a bit more advanced.
Any ideas on how to do this best? Preferably I could feed the information into the program via csv files.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do I need CHS or something else?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 07:57 AM »
This is a really interesting question.

It sounds to me like trying to do what you want with CHS or another clipboard tool would be unsatisfactory, because of your desire to be able to provide a file or list of entries that should be presented for choosing from.

A small custom ahk script might serve your purposes, but it occurs to me that this might be the kind of feature that might be nice to add to CHS, if it was more generally useful to people.  Maybe you could try to describe more fully how you would want to provide the file of information to the program (you say csv files but it's not really clear how that conveys the information that would be needed to present a tree of choices for what to show and paste).

The other thing to consider is if you really do want a tree to dig down through, or whether you would be better off instead with a live search system (which may not support an interactive hierarchy to navigate, e.g. Find and Run Robot).

Rusty2118

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Do I need CHS or something else?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 10:15 PM »
I think ShortKeys will fit the bill:
http://www.shortkeys.com/

Cheers,
Rusty