topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Program Will Not Start After Download and Install  (Read 5777 times)

smmbcj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Program Will Not Start After Download and Install
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:24 PM »
MOVING TO CORRECT AREA

I just installed Clipboard Help and Spell but it will not start.  The icon is in task bar and tells me to left click for . . double left for  etc.  but clicks mean nothing.  Tried starting it from the program list but this also does nothing.  

Why will this not start OR how do I start this thing?

I just uninstalled this and was told the program was running.  Why can I not see it?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 05:31 PM by smmbcj »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Program Will Not Start After Download and Install
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:47 PM »
The icon is in task bar and tells me to left click for . . double left for  etc.  but clicks mean nothing.
When I load CHS and left click the tray icon, I get a popup like the first screenshot.  I hadn't used it for a few days, so there weren't any New clips in it to show on the popup.  I added some, repeated the left click, and got the list shown in the second screenshot.

Do you mean you don't see this kind of popup at all?

I just uninstalled this and was told the program was running.  Why can I not see it?
CHS normally runs in the background.  It minimises to the tray, and if you bring up the main window and press Alt-F4, it still minimises to the tray.  You'd need to right-click the tray icon and Exit, of main window, File -> Exit, to remove it from memory.  If you didn't, it would still have been in memory when you tried to uninstall.  Sometimes Windows fails to show tray icons; is that what's happened to you?

[Edit at UK time 2012-01-02, 20:46:-]
I should add: I'm running CHS as Portable, under Vista Home Premium, UAC On, from a user account.
[/Edit]

smmbcj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 06:20 PM »
There is not an icon in the system tray.  In the list of programs I tried to start from there but nothing happens when I click on the program.  How do I get it back into the system tray?  Why doesn't it start from the program list?

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 06:59 PM »
Out of curiosity, what OS are you using?

smmbcj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 07:02 PM »
Win 7 64 bit

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 07:18 PM »
Are you using an admin account or launching CHS as user with admin privs?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:25 PM by ewemoa »

smmbcj

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 06:51 PM »
not an admin account.  installed and used as a regular, any user account.  should I try it with admin?  It came up one time and I got one good clip.  I'd hate to lose it

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I had problems running CHS as a non-admin user after having run it as an admin user -- this was with w7 pro x64.

I'm fairly new to w7 and have most of my older environments configured to show all the tray icons by default -- I noticed that in w7 the default is to hide certain tray icons (may be it's true in older windows versions, but I don't know off-hand).  It seemed that CHS' tray icon was hidden when I went looking for it -- but it appeared for me when I clicked on an area where such things appear to be hidden.

The following is a portion from an MS page:

arrow-for-show-hide-notification-area-icons.pngProgram Will Not Start After Download and Install

With the task manager (via Ctrl+Shift+Esc) I was able to locate a process for CHS -- I think it was named ClipboardHelpAndSpell.exe or some such.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:54 PM by ewemoa »