ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Newb - Question about monitoring activity on a network

<< < (3/3)

jgpaiva:
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the full potential of URL Snooper.  Will it monitor activity on my network or just my computer?
-capnjeff (October 21, 2011, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
URL snooper will only capture the network activity of your computer.
There are a few tools that might help you see other people's network activity, such as wireshark.

However, ultimately, your ability to do this depends on your network configuration. If all devices were connected to a hubw, all network packets will be flooded to all machines in the network (and thus your computer may get and listen to other people's packages). However, you most probably have a network routerw, which means you probably have a switchw, which sends the packets only to their correct destination. If so, then your best shot is looking in your router's configuration page to see if it has any way of getting a log of the traffic that goes through it, or installing a new firmware that allows you to do it (this might not be the best option, if you are not comfortable with doing it).

capnjeff:
I guess what I'm trying to figure out is the full potential of URL Snooper.  Will it monitor activity on my network or just my computer?
-capnjeff (October 21, 2011, 03:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
URL snooper will only capture the network activity of your computer.
There are a few tools that might help you see other people's network activity, such as wireshark.

However, ultimately, your ability to do this depends on your network configuration. If all devices were connected to a hubw, all network packets will be flooded to all machines in the network (and thus your computer may get and listen to other people's packages). However, you most probably have a network routerw, which means you probably have a switchw, which sends the packets only to their correct destination. If so, then your best shot is looking in your router's configuration page to see if it has any way of getting a log of the traffic that goes through it, or installing a new firmware that allows you to do it (this might not be the best option, if you are not comfortable with doing it).
-jgpaiva (October 22, 2011, 05:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fairpoint installed their all in one wireless router/modem this summer.  I will get the model information today and do some research.  Again, thanks to all for your help.  Also, I'm not looking so much for free, but whether what I want is available here.  I will be donating. 

IainB:
+1 for what  wraith808 said.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version