topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Any Magicka Fans Around?  (Read 11365 times)

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Any Magicka Fans Around?
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:50 PM »
Hi all,

Not sure if there are many gamers on DC that would be into Magicka, but I thought I should ask anyway.

For those not familiar, it's a satirical action-adventure game set in a rich fantasy world based on Norse mythology. The player assumes the role of a wizard from a sacred order tasked with stopping an evil sorcerer who has thrown the world into turmoil, his foul creations besieging the forces of good (from Steam). Trailer here. It's written in XNA (.NET) so Windows only except for those brave enough to try running on Wine.

If anyone's interested in duel or co-op, hit me up on the IRC channel (I'm available on the weekends, .AU time) :)

Ehtyar.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Any Magicka Fans Around?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 01:08 AM »
I bought it on sale months ago but haven't played it yet. I was waiting for the time when I could play it cooperatively with friends. Also, it didn't run very well on my computer. But I think it should run fine on this PC. I'd be glad to play sometime! :Thmbsup:

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 01:14 AM »
Cool! Apparently it launched with a sh!tload of bugs, but is much more stable now. I can also offer a US or AU based mumble server for those who'd like to chat :)

Ehtyar.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 01:17 AM »
I should also mention that you're gonna want a few hours of solo play under your belt to get the hang of casting and pick up some of the more elementary magicks. Generally speaking, the more powerful spells involve more (or more complex arrangements of) the elements, so if you wanna dive into co-op or duel as quick as possible looking a few up online might not be a bad idea.

Ehtyar.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:24 AM »
Apparently it launched with a sh!tload of bugs, but is much more stable now.

Yeah, I played the demo on or near launch day and it was pretty bad. But the PC I had then was also showing its age. That was a bad combination.

I should also mention that you're gonna want a few hours of solo play under your belt to get the hang of casting and pick up some of the more elementary magicks. Generally speaking, the more powerful spells involve more (or more complex arrangements of) the elements, so if you wanna dive into co-op or duel as quick as possible looking a few up online might not be a bad idea.

A few hours? :tellme: I had the idea of just playing through the campaign from the beginning (as a noob) cooperatively with someone else. Is that not a good idea?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I bought it on sale months ago but haven't played it yet.

Same here.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 06:12 PM »

A few hours? :tellme: I had the idea of just playing through the campaign from the beginning (as a noob) cooperatively with someone else. Is that not a good idea?
Well I'd expect you'd have trouble contributing to gameplay. As with any game, experience makes a better player, so the experienced player would likely end up walking the noob through the levels. If both players were noobs, it wouldn't be a problem though.

Ehtyar.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 07:56 PM »
Bought some time ago and tried to play online with few people:
- was bugged as hell - dunno how does it work now,
- multiplayer was not fun for me at all - too many things on the screen for such low resolution.

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 08:11 PM »
-fenixproductions (October 21, 2011, 07:56 PM)
As mentioned previously, this was resolved fairly early on. Apparently Steam released the game prior to completion.
- multiplayer was not fun for me at all - too many things on the screen for such low resolution.
Not sure what you mean by this.

Ehtyar.

fenixproductions

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 03:16 AM »
As mentioned previously, this was resolved fairly early on. Apparently Steam released the game prior to completion.
-Ehtyar
I do not consider it "early" if there is DLC already.

Not sure what you mean by this.
-Ehtyar

For games I often look on the hero/environment size ratio. Magicka heroes are too big for my taste*. With dozen enemies and two co-players there is too much going on the screen. In such scenario there is no place for spells combining (which is great though) and I had to end up with random keys bashing, hoping not to kill by comrades or throw them out of the screen.

*) I've always though that better resolutions and bigger screens were meant to show more usable/workable space - NOT bigger icons, toolbars... heroes.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 05:01 AM »
I bought it on sale at steam and started working my way through solo play. Not sure why I stopped but I forgot all about it - maybe that says something.

A revisit might be needed!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 11:20 AM »
Has anyone played the game with trying both keyboard/mouse and game controller? If so, which do you prefer?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 07:10 AM »
Magicka free weekend!