topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 10:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New words/quotes keeper  (Read 3800 times)

blackcat

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New words/quotes keeper
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:55 AM »
I've been looking for this type of software for a long time but I haven't found one that doesn't either bog down my system with bells and whistles that I would never have a need for or want me to pay for 50 bucks for something that does a simple job like this. :(

I just need it to be small and simple to use, and uses sqlite to store data. Having support for basic rich text format like bold, italic and underline would be nice. I could probably whip you up a gui mock-up how I want the app to look like later  :)

I imagine this would also be very useful for language learner or people that need a systematic way to keep and organize their collection of new words they just learned.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New words/quotes keeper
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 04:11 PM »
You might look at mouser's own Clipboard Help+Spell, which uses SQL.  If you do, take a look at this thread Feature request: Web clipping, permanent note keeping where IainB discusses how he uses it as a PIM/outliner.

If it doesn't absolutely have to be SQL, I'd suggest AZZ Cardfile, which has a very nice "find as you type" feature, or the similar-looking Notefrog.  AZZ has been around quite a while but the author seems to have disappeared; the current version has minor problems on late-model Windows, but there's a workaround in one of their threads, “The Program has Changed, Reinstall” Message

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:04 PM »
You might look at mouser's own Clipboard Help+Spell, which uses SQL.  If you do, take a look at this thread Feature request: Web clipping, permanent note keeping where IainB discusses how he uses it as a PIM/outliner.

Yes, I would see the excellent CHS as being useful for this, amongst its multifarious uses.    :Thmbsup:
Rather than just Copy the new vocab item (a word or expression) into the clipboard (and simultaneously into CHS), it would probably be best to enter/paste the item into CHS via the "Add a Quick Note" function in CHS (I use the Ctrl-Alt-Z hotkey combination to pop up the small window for this).

The "Add a Quick Note" function would be best because it flags the item as a "Favorite" by default (so it will be retained permanently in the database and not automatically/periodically purged as old data).
If you also entered a term such as, for example, "vocab" anywhere in the "Add a Quick Note" popup window, then that term could be used as an SQL search string in a Virtual Folder in the CHS Favorites treelist.
Here's an example of using it this way:
Screenshot - 2011-10-11 , 15_01_32.png
If - like @rjbull - you don't have the necessary arcane knowledge or patience to fiddle with SQL search terms, then requesting a more user-friendly interface to setting up and using SQL search terms could produce results. It has already been listed as a requirement for CHS, and more people asking for the same function to be added could bump up the priority of this change in the queue.

Though I don't actually use CHS for new vocab items (I recently started using Microsoft OneNote as the place for that), I do use CHS for quotes/quotations, and instead of entering the search term "vocab" I make sure that the string  "quote" or "quotation" is somewhere in the title text or the body text - then I can search for them all automatically using SQL in a Virtual Folder.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:10 PM by IainB »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 04:27 PM »
FWIW, the last free version of AZZ Cardfile is at the bottom of their azzCardfil Downloads page.  It should give the flavour.