ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

FBSL - How to use machine code to get your CPU name

<< < (2/4) > >>

Gerome:
Hi,

Looks remarkably like what you used to have to do with a Sinclair ZX81 back in the early 70s ;)

Anyone else remember peeking and poking bytes in memory?
-Carol Haynes (March 18, 2006, 06:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Peek and Poke exist in FBSL also, but they have been enhanced :)

Peek( [@ ]addr[+offset], [$%!#]numofbytes )

Parameters
[@ ]addr[+offset] : address from where to retrieve value(s). @ and offset are extended options
[$%!#]numofbytes : you have to precise the very number of bytes to retrieve from the addr variable, and you have to precise the very type by prefixing the very offset by $, %, ! or #

------------------------------------

Poke( [@ ]addr[+offset], [$%!#]val )

Parameters
[@ ]addr[+offset] : variable [address] where to write value(s).
[$%!#]val : value(s) to write to at mandated address. You have to precise the very type by prefixing the very offset by $, %, ! or #

So ? :)

Carol Haynes:
Ahhhhhhh - a nostaligia rush has just swept over me .... peek-a-boo ? (I won't try the other version in case of misunderstanding ;))

Gerome:
Dear Carol,

Ahhhhhhh - a nostaligia rush has just swept over me .... peek-a-boo ? (I won't try the other version in case of misunderstanding ;))
-Carol Haynes (March 19, 2006, 05:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are 2 main reasons why we've put Peek and Poke to Fbsl :
- 1st reason is that Peek and Poke are part of the common 'basic' languages since a long
- 2nd reason is that we have found a way of extending it that any peek poke amateur will find more than a great interest :)

mouser:
i agree with gerome, for historical reasons every basic should have peek and poke commands.
i wonder if vb.net has them.. if not, boycott it!

Carol Haynes:
i agree with gerome, for historical reasons every basic should have peek and poke commands.
i wonder if vb.net has them.. if not, boycott it!
-mouser (March 20, 2006, 03:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

;) You know it hasn't ... not exactly surprising though as the model used for Visual Studio is pretty much an abstraction to remove direct hardware access.

I haven't use Visual C++, presumably it has malloc() and pointers etc. Does it actually address memory or does it just give that impression? If it does then there really isn't a reason not to include peek and poke in VB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version