ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (20/27) > >>

IainB:
On another topic, as I said above, I like this topic (Amazon and publishers) and I like the ebook topic in general.  However, this particular topic is so fragmented that when it comes up in your unread topics, you don't know what to expect, and the conversations are very interweaved and especially later if someone peruses it or tries to find something, there really won't be a good way.  Is it possible to separate these into topics in the future, or just make it obvious that this is a mish mash of information?
-wraith808 (December 08, 2011, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---
I like this topic too. I find it very interesting. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude and ignore your earlier comment that you found this thread confusing, it was just that I couldn't see how to easily make it less so.
I think that what has happened is that the scope of the discussion has enlarged as our discussion has kept nudging its contextual boundaries outwards. I notice that happening to quite a few discussion threads in this forum, but I don't think that is necessarily a "bad" thing per se. We could split this discussion up and branch it off somehow, I suppose.

Personally, I would blame @40hz and @Carol Haynes for any confusion. They are repeat offenders and keep digressing all the time and throwing red whales into the discussions, and they often have spelling mistakes in what they rite. It's got so off-topic that I nearly lost sight of the fact that this thread was originally started off by @superboyac in December 2009 on the subject of "Why are there not enough pictures of Angelina Jolie being used in forum posts?" (I'm with him on that one.)

I kid you not. You couldn't make this stuff up.

Carol Haynes:
On another topic, as I said above, I like this topic (Amazon and publishers) and I like the ebook topic in general.  However, this particular topic is so fragmented that when it comes up in your unread topics, you don't know what to expect, and the conversations are very interweaved and especially later if someone peruses it or tries to find something, there really won't be a good way.  Is it possible to separate these into topics in the future, or just make it obvious that this is a mish mash of information?
-wraith808 (December 08, 2011, 10:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

To be fair this topic isn't about the second hand paperback market either ;)

Personally, I would blame @40hz and @Carol Haynes for any confusion. They are repeat offenders and keep digressing all the time and throwing red whales into the discussions, and they often have spelling mistakes in what they rite. It's got so off-topic that I nearly lost sight of the fact that this thread was originally started off by @superboyac in December 2009 on the subject of "Why are there not enough pictures of Angelina Jolie being used in forum posts?" (I'm with him on that one.)
-IainB (December 09, 2011, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that - the man who writes the longest and most convoluted posts in the entire forum ;)

By the way write has a w in it :P

IainB:
To be fair this topic isn't about the second hand paperback market either ;)
-Carol Haynes (December 09, 2011, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, that kinda puzzled me a bit.

By the way write has a w in it :P
--- End quote ---
Sorry, I couldn't resist doing that. I think I was in a Puckish frame of mind at the time.
(By the way, have you cleaned up those misspellings on your website yet?)       ;)

40hz:
Personally, I would blame @40hz and @Carol Haynes for any confusion. They are repeat offenders and keep digressing all the time and throwing red whales into the discussions, and they often have spelling mistakes in what they rite.
-IainB (December 09, 2011, 01:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's the difference between attempting to have an intelligent discussion with someone - and starting a debate.  :P

I'm frequently interested in discussing something. I seldom have the patience to enter into a debate.

Debates are so...competitive, don't you think? (As you may have surmised, I'm not the competitive type.  :) )

As for the digressions...well, that's how my mind works. I'll start by focusing, then free associate, then weave whatever insights I've obtained back into the context if I find they have merit. It's a subset of the practice commonly referred to as "brainstorming." Or a manifestation of me attempting to "think outside the box" if you will. It's practice which I've found generates useful and surprising results more often than not.

Spelling errors...ah yes...spelling errors! Guilty as charged, although I can't claim full credit on that score. I'm ably assisted by the incredible (in the truest sense of the word) spellchecker on my iPhone. In addition to guessing wrong 7 times out of 10, it has an odd tendency to 'correct' things after I tell it to leave well enough alone. Why it can do that while missing glaringly obvious spelling errors is anybody's guess. (I personally suspect the chip inside the iPhone isn't a chip at all but rather some Frankenstein-ish Area-51 technology that uses brain sections taken from feral cats!)

Regarding the "red whales" (interesting phrase...is that you own coinage?), I'm not quite sure what you mean beyond the inference that a remarkably large 'red herring' gets tossed into the discussion from time to time. If so, I disagree on that point. At least insofar as my understanding of the term 'red herring' goes. Red herrings are an attempt at diversion. Which is not at all the same thing as a digression. Diversion finds its uses in argument and debate. Digression's fair countenance is more to be seen in discussions. But I digress...

Um...have I mentioned yet how I'm not into debates?  

;)   ;D

wraith808:
To be fair this topic isn't about the second hand paperback market either
--- End quote ---

Oh, I know... I was just adding to the confusion since it's already here.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version