ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (17/27) > >>

IainB:
Presumably contracts are for a certain length of time and not in-perpetuity - what happens when the big six publishers finally realise that Amazon has them in a headlock and they don't renew their contract? Presumably a lot of blank Kindles ????
-Carol Haynes (November 30, 2011, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I just had to "share" this: Never mind if it is blank, you could always "repurpose" a reading device made obsolete by the suppliers' draconian DRM - if this example of a Barnes & Noble Nook colour is anything to go by:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1372396
Its a "jailbroken" Nook tablet mounted into a Jeep's dashboard to make a for a futuristic audio player and engine monitoring tool.

So ingenious.       :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

(It's enough to make me want to buy a Nook now, anyway.)

40hz:
You know, it just occurred to me...it isn't so much a matter of Amazon writing publishers out as it is Amazon has become a publisher.
 ;D

IainB:
You know, it just occurred to me...it isn't so much a matter of Amazon writing publishers out as it is Amazon has become a publisher.
 ;D
-40hz (December 05, 2011, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eh?
I think that may have been discussed in the thread above...or was it somewhere else...?    ;)

IainB:
Interesting:
How to read your Nook books on the Kindle Fire

Looks like Amazon don't want to sell you this particular app.
A quick search for the Nook app in the Kindle Fire's Appstore results in absolutely nothing.
The Nook app is available for Android (which is the Fire's OS), but Amazon chose to exclude its competitor's e-reader app from its store.
--- End quote ---

Probably just another reminder (if one were needed) that you need to avoid a proprietary OS on these devices.
You evidently can't expect the supplier to unlock you or to ensure that you are informed enough to be a non-captive customer.

40hz:
 ;D
-40hz (December 05, 2011, 06:47 PM)
--- End quote ---
Eh?
I think that may have been discussed in the thread above...or was it somewhere else...?    ;)
-IainB (December 05, 2011, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just making conversation. Nothing I say should ever be taken as an attempt on my part to count coup.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version