ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (15/27) > >>

40hz:
Until there comes a time when publishers (in whatever form the distribution part of the business takes) decide to act as partners with the authors - as opposed to being simple gatekeepers and middlemen - it will continue to be business as usual.

And in the context of ebooks, "as usual" can generally be characterized as the authors and public both being robbed blind.

What I'd love to see is an arrangement similar to what  Bandcamp offers musicians:
[*]a place to host your content[*]a point of presence and contact on the web[*]the opportunity for community[*]backoffice services (billing, payment processing, shopping carts, etc.)[*]a rational and fair fee schedule for services rendered[/list]

Bandcamp provides infrastructure - something which has traditionally been the stumbling block for most people involved in creative endeavors. And in the case of Bandcamp, it's a win-win arrangement made possible by the fact its creators didn't succumb to greed or stupidity when they set it up. Content creators retain full ownership and control of their work - and with no lock-in contracts to deal with. You can part company with Bandcamp at any time with no penalty. It's a strictly an "at will" arrangement. You are also not locked into using it exclusively. Bandcamp can be used by itself, or as a supplemental marketing tool. You are free to make any other deals and arrangements you like with anybody else - provided, of course, those other people will allow you to.

Check them out at the link above. Then think about how well something similar could work for literary and software authors.

Be sure to read the FAQ. They have some very wise words on the question of piracy - and possibly the best ever insight as to what that means for musicians. And also a very good reason why musical excerpts (as opposed to full free sample tracks) are a bad idea.

Read some of it here!One of my fans showed me a totally easy way that someone could STEAL my music off of Bandcamp using RealPlayer 14.1 beta 3, or RipTheWeb.com, or by going into Temporary Internet Files and renaming blah blah blah. What are you doing about this grave problem?

Nothing. Since streams on Bandcamp are full-length, rather than 30-second snippets, it's correct that someone could use one of the above methods to access the underlying 128k mp3. And sure, we could throw some technical hurdles in their way, but if they hit one of those hurdles, it's not like they'd slap their forehead and open their wallet. Instead, they'd just move on to some other site where those restrictions aren't in place, and you'll have squandered the chance to make your own site the premier destination for those seemingly cheap, but enthusiastic, word-spreading, and potentially later money-spending fans. In other words, the few people employing the above methods are better thought of as an opportunity, not a lost sale. If you're still skeptical, Andrew Dubber's post on the topic of music piracy is a must-read.

OK, but how about making the streams on Bandcamp 30-second snippets?

We again refer you to the wise words of Andrew Dubber. Here's the abridged version:

"Music is pretty much unique when it comes to media consumption. You don’t buy a movie ticket because you liked the film so much, and while you might buy a book because you enjoyed reading it so much at the library, typically you’ll purchase first, then consume...But music is different — and radio proves that. By far the most reliable way to promote music is to have people hear it. Repeatedly, if possible — and for free. After a while, if you’re lucky, people get to know and love the music. Sooner or later, they’re going to want to own it...whether it’s a pop tune, a heavily political punk album, or an experimental, avant-garde suite — the key is very simple: people have to hear music, then they will grow to like it, and then finally, if you’re lucky, they will engage in an economic relationship in order to consume (not just buy and listen to) that music. That’s the order it has to happen in. It can’t happen in any other order. There’s no point in hoping that people will buy the music, then hear it, then like it. They just won’t. Nobody really wants to buy a piece of music they don’t know — let alone one they haven’t heard. Especially if it’s by someone who lies outside their usual frame of reference. And a 30-second sample is a waste of your time and bandwidth. It’s worse than useless. That’s not enough to get to like your music. Let them hear it, keep it, live with it. And then bring them back as a fan."
--- End quote ---

Awesome! I think these folks have figured it out.

Obligatory disclaimer - 40hz is not affiliated with Bandcamp. But if my GF ever gets her band together, I'm going to seriously push her to use these guys. If something like this had been available when I was working as a professional musician...well...I'd still be working as one! :mrgreen:

8)

superboyac:

Obligatory disclaimer - 40hz is not affiliated with Bandcamp. But if my GF ever gets her band together, I'm going to seriously push her to use these guys. If something like this had been available when I was working as a professional musician...well...I'd still be working as one! :mrgreen
-40hz (November 30, 2011, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh really??  Looks like I need to seriously consider it.  Thanks buddy!

wraith808:
What I'd love to see is an arrangement similar to what  Bandcamp offers musicians:
[*]a place to host your content[*]a point of presence and contact on the web[*]the opportunity for community[*]backoffice services (billing, payment processing, shopping carts, etc.)[*]a rational and fair fee schedule for services rendered[/list]
-40hz (November 30, 2011, 09:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Check out http://www.fsand.com and http://www.smashwords.com.  It exists, it's just no competition to Amazon or Barnes & Noble right now, mostly because they did something quite smart that the RIAA never did- allowed self-publishing.

IainB:
Presumably contracts are for a certain length of time and not in-perpetuity - what happens when the big six publishers finally realise that Amazon has them in a headlock and they don't renew their contract? Presumably a lot of blank Kindles ????
-Carol Haynes (November 30, 2011, 03:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think it's that easy.  It's the DRM that's the problem, not the Kindle.  I think the point is that the DRM is driving sales of the Kindle over other devices as the DRM is kindle specific, rather than, for lack of a better word, open.  So people get locked into the platform.  Sort of like the way DRM on music used to work.  But the same out exists for them- remove the DRM.
-wraith808 (November 30, 2011, 07:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

+1 for what @Carol Haynes says.    :Thmbsup:
+1 for what @wraith808 link says.     :Thmbsup:

The reason I say this is that the Kindle does not meet  my criteria 3, 5, 6, 7a, 7b, 11 (see list below). In particular, the demonstrated capacity for Amazon to unilaterally and silently hack into your Kindle and their ruthless (psychopathic) pursuit of DRM in so doing beggars belief. It could well end up as "an empty Kindle", and the customer would have little or no recourse for remediation/restitution under the contract. I would not be in my right mind if I purchased a Kindle for my use.

I am prone to being a bit of a technology junkie, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I lose my sense of self-control or reason over it. For me, it is really quite pragmatic - it's typically about the implementation and alignment of information management with general information theory. That includes/covers things such as, for example, PCs/laptops, cameras, scanners, printers, memory sticks, and software for these things, and even related processes and discussion forums (like this one).

I am very critical of the quality, design and purposes of most new technology. I tend towards a minimalist approach. The technology that I acquire usually has to meet some general benefit and function criteria. I usually put it through a PMI (Plus, Minus, Interesting - per De Bono) review before I acquire it. The PMI will cover these pretty basic requirements:

* #1: Input: Does it improve my current processes of data/information/knowledge gathering?
* #2: Processing (includes Output): Does it improve my current processing methods?
* #3: Storage/backup: Does it improve my current processes of storage or backup/recovery?
* #4: Quality: Is it technically sound, well-designed and well-made for its purpose?
* #5: Support: Is it likely to have some reasonable degree of continuing support?
* #6: Reliability: Can I trust the provider to be delivering something of reasonable quality and that he will not rip me off (i.e., make a victim of the customer)?
* #7a: Use - Ergonomics (and efficiency): Does it at least meet my current ergonomic requirements?
* #7b: Use - Control: Will I have full, free and unencumbered control over the technology, to use as I need/please?
* #8: Cost: What is the cost, and does it seem reasonable?
* #9: Change: Will the use of the technology effect/necessitate a change for the better in the way I do things?
* #10: Deficiencies: How is it deficient in light of the above criteria, or in any other way?
* #11: Trade-off/compromise: What deficiencies are worth accepting in order to realise the improvements/benefits of using this technology?

IainB:
Wow. Amazon seem to be really into this market, boots and all.
Amazon to Congress: No, Silk won't invade people's privacy

Yeah, right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version