ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (12/27) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Carol's comment (above) might not seem quite so far-fetched as one might think if you look at what has been described as "the obscenity of selling bottled water"
-IainB (October 25, 2011, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

The other point about bottled water is that the water quality standards and health standards are much lower for bottled water (at least in the EU - don't know about other places) allowing more bacteria and greater chemical content than utility supplied water,

Maybe it's not going to be too long before the air we breathe is going to be packaged and sold to us as "pure" air
-IainB (October 25, 2011, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

It already is in some Japanese cities and has been for some time.

IainB:
-Carol Haynes (October 25, 2011, 07:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Seriously?
I have seen air sold in cans as a joke/gimmick from different parts of the world, but not as a "for-real-breathe-this" commodity, like bottled water is definitely intended for repeated human consumption.

Come to think of it, I have also seen plastic bags of water sold with Christmas cards as a gimmick, with the words "Real snow from the North Pole" on the card.

IainB:
The other point about bottled water is that the water quality standards and health standards are much lower for bottled water (at least in the EU - don't know about other places) allowing more bacteria and greater chemical content than utility supplied water,
--- End quote ---

Yes, the same (low water quality standards and health standards) is true for "pure" New Zealand bottled water. I wouldn't touch any of it with a bargepole anyway, for a whole raft of reasons, regardless of its supposed source.
I think it was a year or so ago that one NZ manufacturer of bottled water was found to be just bottling tap water and selling it as "pure NZ spring water".

Come to think of it, the only bottled water that I would consider buying would be mineral waters, but only where it came in glass bottles and where I personally have checked out the bona fides of the source - e.g., from Trefriw Wells Spa (the old Roman mineral water caves) in North Wales, and Malvern Water from the springs in the Malvern hills (bottled originally by Schweppes, now part of the Coca-Cola Corporation).

Carol Haynes:
--- End quote ---
Seriously?
I have seen air sold in cans as a joke/gimmick from different parts of the world, but not as a "for-real-breathe-this" commodity, like bottled water is definitely intended for repeated human consumption.

Come to think of it, I have also seen plastic bags of water sold with Christmas cards as a gimmick, with the words "Real snow from the North Pole" on the card.
-IainB (October 25, 2011, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here are the first Google search I found on 'japan oxygen':

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/05/canned_oxygen_a.php
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=1999240&page=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slVk2G_bvBQ

Schweppes, now part of the Coca-Cola Corporation
--- End quote ---

Don't get me started on Coca Cola ... they take the water away from impoverished communities and package it to be sent to America and Europe:

Just one example: http://www.beverageworld.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=36882&catid=3&Itemid=173

IainB:
Ah thanks for the searches/links - but that's not "fresh air" is it? -  it's apparently oxygen.
I think there has long been a market for oxygen - I recall that it's recognised as being a harmless pick-me-up when you are tired or suffering from hangover. I had a neighbour with MS who breathed oxygen whilst she sat in a hyperbaric chamber. It apparently worked very well to increase the oxygen uptake and alleviate the symptoms she suffered from.

And don't be too hard on Coca Cola.
We created that.
Coca Cola Corp. is just another psychopathic Frankenstinian monster our society has created. It's a very efficient psychopath too. So, it should not surprise us to find that Coca Cola are apparently doing something like taking the water away from impoverished communities and packaging it to be sent to America and Europe. Those actions would be typically characteristic of an efficient psychopathic corporation.

If you want to fix it, then fix the legal system that created it, not the creation itself - i.e., address the causal problem rather than the symptomatic problem. Meanwhile, that system continues to robotically create and support these licenced psychopathic legal entities, and teaches our society to value them highly as "successful corporations".

If you watched the movie "The Corporation", then you would have seen towards the end that they show how whole communities have daringly banded together to control these monsters in their midst, and make them less harmful and more beneficial to the community, humans and the environment.

I found it fascinating stuff to watch. I learned a lot. Showed it to my daughter Lily when she was 9. In discussion, it later became evident that she had thoughtfully absorbed the film in rather a balanced fashion. We still discuss it from time to time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version