ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Amazon Signs Up Authors, Writing Publishers Out of Deal

<< < (6/27) > >>

IainB:
Interesting research re the differences between reading via e-book v. hardcopy. None, apparently:
http://mashable.com/2011/10/20/reading-ebook-versus-print

40hz:
^Doesn't address the esthetics of the reading experience. Which is all I really care about.  8)

Carol Haynes:
And look at the poll at the end - there is also a certain self selection in the poll. If you lashed out your dosh on an expensive toy there is a presumption that you have to like it better than a book.

DOn't get me wrong I have loads of eBooks on my computer but I have almost all of them in print form too and if I need to read for any length of time reading the printed book is far kinder on the eyes.

Renegade:
Interesting research re the differences between reading via e-book v. hardcopy. None, apparently:
http://mashable.com/2011/10/20/reading-ebook-versus-print
-IainB (October 21, 2011, 05:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Huh? Probably sponsored by Amazon...

...for any length of time reading the printed book is far kinder on the eyes.
-Carol Haynes (October 21, 2011, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

“There are no disadvantages to reading from electronic reading devices compared with reading printed texts,”
--- End quote ---

Ahem...

I call "bullshit".

That is such wild nonsense.

Form factor form factor form factor form factor!

+ You can stick your fingers in the previous page to quickly zip back, or several fingers in parts of the book to quickly zip between them. e.g. You look up a reference in the index, then stick your fingers in different sections of the book where that reference occurs, then zip between them. You cannot do that in an ebook.

- Ok, there are tools to help you do that, but they are nowhere near as fast as flipping with your fingers. Has anyone ever tried to flip more than a single page in an ebook reader? It's mind numbingly painful. Flipping 1 page is bad enough. Flipping more than one page is idiotic. You just cannot do it. Frame rates and software speeds are far too slow. It cannot be done *reasonably* right now. (This should change in the future.)

+ You can quickly markup a book with pen, pencil, or highlighter in ways that are faster, easier and more intuitive than with some software tools. e.g. Underline some text, highlight one of the words, write a note in the margin, and draw a quick figure.

- The software tools available right now are slow an unintuitive. Writing with your hand is simply far more versatile than with software. Until there is intelligent software *and hardware* that will let you *write* and *draw* and *underline* and *highlight* with nothing more than your finger, paper books will be superior. (I mean that the hardware needs to allow sophisticated input, and the software needs to understand that, and translate intentions properly so that it can recognize handwriting and type that as text. Graffiti anyone? :) )

+ The resolution of paper is, oh, let's say, round about, a LOT~! Pixel pitch in epaper is good, but it's not paper.

- This is where the claim could be true. If at all. However, it is entirely dependent on the display technology being fine enough as to make *imperceptible* differences truly and completely irrelevant. I say *imperceptible* because whether or not you *notice* something *consciously* doesn't mean that it isn't happening. e.g. The "boil a frog" thing -- it doesn't notice the gradual rise in temperature. Same thing goes for humans. We *are* affected by things that we do not *notice*.

I'm certain that others could come up with other reasons, but I don't think it's necessary to illustrate that the claim:

“There are no disadvantages to reading from electronic reading devices compared with reading printed texts,”
--- End quote ---

Is just pure bullshit.

Notice here:

...according to a study by Research Unit Media Convergence of Johannes Gutenberg University Mainz (JGU) in cooperation with MVB Marketing- und Verlagsservice des Buchhandels GmbH, operator of the ebook platform Libreka!.

--- End quote ---

Conflict of interest anyone?

wraith808:
...for any length of time reading the printed book is far kinder on the eyes.
-Carol Haynes (October 21, 2011, 06:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1
-Renegade (October 21, 2011, 08:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
Subjective both ways.

+ You can stick your fingers in the previous page to quickly zip back, or several fingers in parts of the book to quickly zip between them. e.g. You look up a reference in the index, then stick your fingers in different sections of the book where that reference occurs, then zip between them. You cannot do that in an ebook.

- Ok, there are tools to help you do that, but they are nowhere near as fast as flipping with your fingers. Has anyone ever tried to flip more than a single page in an ebook reader? It's mind numbingly painful. Flipping 1 page is bad enough. Flipping more than one page is idiotic. You just cannot do it. Frame rates and software speeds are far too slow. It cannot be done *reasonably* right now. (This should change in the future.)
--- End quote ---
Need to find a non-indexed phrase?  Which one wins there?  And then keep searching?

+ You can quickly markup a book with pen, pencil, or highlighter in ways that are faster, easier and more intuitive than with some software tools. e.g. Underline some text, highlight one of the words, write a note in the margin, and draw a quick figure.

- The software tools available right now are slow an unintuitive. Writing with your hand is simply far more versatile than with software. Until there is intelligent software *and hardware* that will let you *write* and *draw* and *underline* and *highlight* with nothing more than your finger, paper books will be superior. (I mean that the hardware needs to allow sophisticated input, and the software needs to understand that, and translate intentions properly so that it can recognize handwriting and type that as text. Graffiti anyone? :) )
--- End quote ---
Depends on the format.  PDF I mark up just as easily... and I can *erase* if I need to.

My point is that a lot of this is subjective- I don't even see why these comparisons exist, personally.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version