ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Taking ownership of files ... confused, irritated & discombobulated

<< < (5/5)

barney:
Sorry cranioscopical I left you out of that last one.

Yeah, I did talk to a tech - who bumped me up to another, presumably {higher|more qualified|more patient}, tech.  They both agreed that w/o their having physical access to the drive, I should probably go with the SMART indicators. 

Hell, the drive is 2-3 years old, has been under power that whole time, and there have been some rather significant power issues.  (Even a UPS can't block EMF from a lightning strike  :tellme:.  And that was next door, not here  :o.)

Anyhoo, this saga has come to a conclusion.  I considered a candle-lit wake, but in the end I just dumped it unceremoniously in the bad parts - destroy box, opened another beer, and started shopping for a replacement online  :P.

Stoic Joker:
This was - emphasis on the was - not an OS drive, just a USB external storage drive. 

So I dismantled the drive housing - -barney (October 19, 2011, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stop! ...God I'm retarded...

It's a USB Drive ... So if the USB controller goes poof (and they tend to) ... It can/will make the drive (which is actually perfectly fine) appear to be torched. I just went through this a few months back with a clients 1TB backup drive. In the externel USB case it appeared to be for all the world completely, unreadably, fried. However.... Out of the case connected directly to a computer ... It worked perfectly. I'm still using it.

Take another run at it now that it's out ... You might get lucky.

barney:
I wish.  I have a little goody I bought recently - couple of months ago? - that'll let me power up and read an otherwise disconnected HD.  Same response.  I'm willing to believe it could have been a bad USB controller on the Fantom, but less willing to accept two (2) (or more) failing at the same time.  Yeah, I know coincidence exists - but that doesn't mean I have to believe in it  :P.

tslim:
This was - emphasis on the was - not an OS drive, just a USB external storage drive. 

So I dismantled the drive housing - -barney (October 19, 2011, 06:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Stop! ...God I'm retarded...

It's a USB Drive ... So if the USB controller goes poof (and they tend to) ... It can/will make the drive (which is actually perfectly fine) appear to be torched. I just went through this a few months back with a clients 1TB backup drive. In the externel USB case it appeared to be for all the world completely, unreadably, fried. However.... Out of the case connected directly to a computer ... It worked perfectly. I'm still using it.

Take another run at it now that it's out ... You might get lucky.
-Stoic Joker (October 19, 2011, 09:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ha! Ha!
You have made me recall an incident while I was a teenager...  :-* back to the time before Win95, I was using floppy drive. I remember I have angrily thrown into my dustbin a dozen or more floppy disks and only find out later it was my floppy drive that went out of alignment... it simply can't read any disk... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version