ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Taking ownership of files ... confused, irritated & discombobulated

<< < (2/5) > >>

barney:
@cranioscopical
Yep, I have it installed [Take Ownership from context menu], but it didn't do any good this time.  It has worked before. just not this time  ;).
[Edit:  same problem [apparently] on another box.  I simply cannot access the files to do anything.]

@Target
Yeah, that's a last resort kinda thing, but it won't help me find out what caused the problem in the first place.  I've gotten semaphore messages several times on this drive, but always cured with chkdsk - at least, so far.  It's not that I cannot move the files at all - I think  :-\ - with one of several recover CDs.  But I really wanna learn, if not what happened, at least how to recover from it within the current OS  :mad:.  Dumb, stupid, persistent - that's me  :o.  Sometimes it even works  :P.

AbteriX:
That are date files? No system?  Which OS?

Try this:

- Right click the top folder -> Properties
- Security -> Advanced -> Edit...
- Change Owner too: >>> YOU  (or administrators if you are an admin)
-> [X] Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
- OK , OK, OK -> Close Properties

- Right click the top folder -> Properties
- Security -> Edit...
- Select YOU -> [X] Full control

Perhaps we have to go via Advanced again, -> Change Permissions... -> YOU Full Control and "[X] Replace all child..." too

Target:
Yeah, that's a last resort kinda thing, but it won't help me find out what caused the problem in the first place.  I've gotten semaphore messages several times on this drive, but always cured with chkdsk - at least, so far.  It's not that I cannot move the files at all - I think  :-\ - with one of several recover CDs.  But I really wanna learn, if not what happened, at least how to recover from it within the current OS  :mad:.  Dumb, stupid, persistent - that's me  :o.  Sometimes it even works  :P.
-barney (October 17, 2011, 01:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with you on that one, but there's nothing wrong with that, so long as you recover the data.  

You've been getting warnings and while it could totter along forever, it could just as easily go phhhht....

Once you've got a copy of the data you can spend as much time as you like trying to work out the why's and wherefore's.  Maybe you'll tell us all and we'll learn something too (see, I'm really only thinking about myself ;D)

skwire:
How about using just about any live Linux disc?

barney:
@AbteriX
The files are mostly .flv, dates anywhere from a few years to a few weeks in the past.  I've already been through the standard Win7 procedures to establish ownership.  Sometimes it appears to complete, sometimes I get an alert.  However, I still cannot access the files.  I've gone through every Win7 routine, insofar as I am aware, to take ownership, as well as a few routines that aren't exactly in the Win7 manual.  I can be reasonably certain it's not infection, although that's never a certainty.  I've done this in regular and safe mode - I've also logged what I did, just in case it worked, just took me a few minutes to find the log  :).  So now I'm looking for other, probably non-standard, approaches to the problem.

@Target, skwire
Yea, the live CD thing is an option.  But I don't want to do anything that might change the balance right now.  I've had occasion to do this in the past and, while I was able to recover whatever it was at the time, I've also affected the disk architecture a time or three (3).  If I do that, then I lose the opportunity to find out what's going on.  Oh, I'm not gonna push it too long, but I'd really like to solve this internally, as it were  :-\.  A problem that is avoided, or just disappears, is not resolved, it's just hidden away to pop up another day  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version