Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site October 30, 2014, 09:30:30 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: A salty tale: Table salt multiplies hard disk space six times  (Read 2477 times)
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:45:19 AM »

Table salt multiplies hard disk space six times

I wonder just how many new mechanical drives will be required by the time 2016 rolls around.

Chris
tslim
Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 01:54:40 PM »

Even if that is true, it is too late a good news.
I think in few years to come, mechanical HDD is going to phase out, all of us will be using SSD
f0dder
Charter Honorary Member

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »

I think in few years to come, mechanical HDD is going to phase out, all of us will be using SSD.
Requires some breakthrough in solid-state memory technology - it's still way too expensive, and there's limits to how cheap the current tech can get just through economy of scale. There's a lot of research going on, but I'd guess mechanical disks are going to be used a fairly long time yet.

- carpe noctem
Deozaan
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 02:35:22 PM »

Even if that is true, it is too late a good news.
I think in few years to come, mechanical HDD is going to phase out, all of us will be using SSD

I thought we were going to be using holographic storagew. . . But I guess that's probably just the future of optical media (successor of Blu-Ray?).

cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:58 PM »

Requires some breakthrough in solid-state memory technology - it's still way too expensive
It is coming down in price reasonably quickly. Round here a 240GB SSD runs just under $300. Not cheap but not prohibitive either. Breakthroughs like Graphene unlock huge potential.

Chris
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:36:19 PM »

I'm going to hold out for bacterial hard drive storage. That way, the hard drive capacity just keeps growing exponentially!
rgdot
Supporting Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 04:50:38 PM »

Call me when computers and hard drives are neural interfaces  Wink
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:10:21 PM »

I'm going to hold out for bacterial hard drive storage. That way, the hard drive capacity just keeps growing exponentially!

Hm... I'm not sure I'd want to try getting a virus out of a bacterial hard drive. ...But it could make for some interesting discussions:
 I've got 17TB of fully redundant storage, and a runny nose.
 So doc the computer BSOD's everytime I cough ... What'd we get now??
 The wife cleaned my office with lysol, now all my data 's gone!
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 06:14:15 PM »

I'm not sure I'd want to try getting a virus out of a bacterial hard drive.
Some manufacturers are keeping up. Coming soon the WD Black... death.

Chris
4wd
Supporting Member

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:06 PM »

He's not my identical twin, that's my cloned drive.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 06:21:19 PM by 4wd; Reason: Quoted wrong person, screwed up context...need more coffee. » Logged

I do not need to control my anger ... people just need to stop pissing me off!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.047s | Server load: 0.24 ]