ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

A salty tale: Table salt multiplies hard disk space six times

(1/2) > >>

cranioscopical:
Table salt multiplies hard disk space six times

I wonder just how many new mechanical drives will be required by the time 2016 rolls around.

tslim:
Even if that is true, it is too late a good news.
I think in few years to come, mechanical HDD is going to phase out, all of us will be using SSD

f0dder:
I think in few years to come, mechanical HDD is going to phase out, all of us will be using SSD.-tslim (October 17, 2011, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Requires some breakthrough in solid-state memory technology - it's still way too expensive, and there's limits to how cheap the current tech can get just through economy of scale. There's a lot of research going on, but I'd guess mechanical disks are going to be used a fairly long time yet.

Deozaan:
Even if that is true, it is too late a good news.
I think in few years to come, mechanical HDD is going to phase out, all of us will be using SSD
-tslim (October 17, 2011, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I thought we were going to be using holographic storagew. . . But I guess that's probably just the future of optical media (successor of Blu-Ray?).

cranioscopical:
Requires some breakthrough in solid-state memory technology - it's still way too expensive
-f0dder (October 17, 2011, 02:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
It is coming down in price reasonably quickly. Round here a 240GB SSD runs just under $300. Not cheap but not prohibitive either. Breakthroughs like Graphene unlock huge potential.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version