topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Copy Paste: System Config Scanner  (Read 4114 times)

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Copy Paste: System Config Scanner
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:29 PM »
Hello, i thought about a website like this. You type in your system config (Processor, RAM memory, Graphic card, etc.) or let website scan it for you. Then the website shows you the list of games it recommends for your system conf. It would be a great website for gamers who want to find out some new games to play. Do not steal this idea please(Or at least give me credit) :)
~FirePhoenix

This could also work for package managers. If DC detects you have resource hungry programs, they could list Process Tamer for example.

Source

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Copy Paste: System Config Scanner
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 12:14 AM »
OK, an electrician, or perhaps a carpenter simply walks through your front door into your house and decides what adjustments you need or should have?  Whether you want them or not?  Without your permission?  That's what is being proposed.

Thank you, no!  Any such site will be one that I avoid, as long as I'm aware of it.  Web sites pick up enough data, rather casually, as it is.  Now you want additional intrusion?  The marketing value of this would be tremendous, of course, but Ive never met a marketer that seemed to have a soul, much less ethics or morals.

This proposal, while it has beneficial uses, would be corrupted before the script was even tested ... the real world would create a travesty of any beneficial intent.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Copy Paste: System Config Scanner
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 12:17 PM »
???

There is no unwarranted intrusion.

Even the example site link provided has Windows providing a statement whether you trust the program to scan for your files: http://cyri.systemre....com/CYRI/intro.aspx

It would be no different than Belarc or an Online Malware Scanner or even Hijackthis.de

Package managers already detect if you have a program installed. This would simply be akin to a recommendation engine based on what program is detected as installed on your files.

Even the carpenter analogy confuses me. Almost 99% of software have scanners now. Whether it is to check for updates or the next Firefox telling you that the update will break your add-ons or Chrome removing extensions from their app store or Windows telling you that something is unsafe or false positives from your AVs or Linux updates breaking your Desktop...the OS is literally a haven for carpenters and electricians walking through your front door and deciding what you need or should have with only the fellow capable carpenters and electricians understanding whether they are being scammed or not. The only thing this coding snack request is trying to fix is giving people a hotline to a carpenter when they actually need a competent one because the official sellers are very vague with their minimum vs. recommended vs. optimum specs.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:26 PM by Paul Keith »