ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LiteOn DVD writers?

(1/2) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have just built a new system (Win 7 Pro with 8Gb memory/Phenom II x4 CPU) and included a LiteOn DVD+-RW DL drive.

I have never had problems with optical drives in recent years with Verbatim x16 DVD+R disks but having set up the system I attempted to do the usual backup (Windows Backup System Image) for quick reinstall if the need arises.

The strange thing is is took 3 DVDs and every time I tried to do it the first two disks burnt perfectly and the third refused to verify with a media error (and the logs showed 'bad block').

Having got through 12 DVDs I gave up - 8 burnt perfectly (the first two each time) and 4 failed (disk 3 in each set).

Anyone got any ideas what could be causing this? I have also burnt CDs with the same drive without any problem.

I can't believe that every third DVD in the batch has a problem (none of the other 25 in the pack have had issues on other systems).

Things I have tried so far are:

1) Upgrade to the latest firmware
2) Run LiteOn's tool that is supposed to optimise writing speeds to ensure good writes (sorry can't remember what it is called).

In the end I have done the backup by plugging in a laptop Samsung external DVD+R and the disks burnt without problem.

Anyone else experienced anything like this with LiteOn drives or do I have a duff one? I have used LiteOn in a number of builds and up until this one they have been fine.

mouser:
LiteOn DVD drives have always worked perfectly for me.

cmpm:
Is LiteOn reading the DVD as a DVD or just a CD.
I had one LiteOn DVD that would not recognize DVDs.
It saw them as CDs only, returned it.
Strange I thought....

fenixproductions:
Two LiteONs in the past behave similar to your description after a while. What was worse: when problems started to appear they all stopped to see original disks (no matter what type it was: data, music or games) BUT all self burned DVDs were read perfectly well.

AFAIK if problems happen, firmware update is worth nothing - it can't fix it.

P.S. Post right in time: my DVD (Samsung this time) suddenly died today :(

Carol Haynes:
Sorry about the Samsung!

Got fed up and frustrated and RMAed the drive for a refund. Ordered a Sony BD-RE for my machine and will swap out a known good Sony DVD+RW for the other machine (its for use in the home so its not as though I am cheating anyone).

Off topic aside ...

Really disappointed by the build.

Used:

* Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3(rev. 3.1) motherboard
* AMD Phenom II x4 965 CPU
* 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 memory
* 1Tb WD Caviar Black
The motherboard has integrated Radeon HD4250 graphics with the latest catalyst drivers. The BIOS limits the onboard graphics to a maximum of 512Mb allocated - which is a pity since the mobo supports 16Gb it would have been nice to be able to allocate 1Gb or even 2Gb).

Running Portal 2 on the machine I have had to reduce the resolution by about 30% and drop down all the settings to medium or low. Disappointing.

Its the first time I have used this board (other Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H boards have been much better)! The graphics are really not good for gaming even though it is well above the system requirements.

Portal 2 requirements:
Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)
Memory: 1GB XP / 2GB Vista
Hard Disk Space: At least 7.6 GB of Space
Video: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b (ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher).
Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible

I am going to try shoving in a PCIe card and switch off onboard VGA.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version