topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED - Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness  (Read 3969 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED - Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:42 PM »
Ok...I recently upgraded my copy of Firefox to version 7.01.

It's been working fine. So fine that I was beginning to wonder what all the worries I was hearing about FF7 were about. At least I was up until a few minutes ago. Because with no warning (or any changes made to any of my settings or add-ons) DoCo's forum now no longer seems to have a style sheet associated with it. Instead of the usual pale blue boxes, I'm  seeing this:

Screenshot - 10_15_2011 , 1_32_01 PM.gifSOLVED - Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness

Disabling all my add-ons and purging my preferences (including all relevant caches) doesn't seem to fix it. <*insert old Dutch swear word here*>

This problem only affects DonationCoder's forum pages and (oddly) A List Apart's entire website. Same deal there.

Screenshot - 10_15_2011 , 1_40_01 PM.gifSOLVED - Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness

Every other place I go to still seems to be displaying as expected.

So...does anyone have any clues as to what causes this, or (ideally) how to fix it without removing and reinstalling Firefox?
 :huh:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 05:27 PM by 40hz, Reason: Added \"Help!\" to the subject line. »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 02:58 PM »
I had that problem "recurringly" (?*) a while back (like a year or two ago).

Usually clearing the cache fixed it - I never knew if the problem was with FF or dc...

* please correct my english, I'm starting to forget how to use it (and no - that's nothing to do with it being Saturday night here :p), I just dont get to use it enough, or hear it either...)
Tom

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:21 PM »
I had this issue on upgrade before version 6. I cleared the cookies, cache, removed add-ons and restarted. Worked for me.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED - Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 05:37 PM »
Usually clearing the cache fixed it - I never knew if the problem was with FF or dc...

I had this issue on upgrade before version 6. I cleared the cookies, cache, removed add-ons and restarted. Worked for me.

Hey! It wasn't the cache or the cookies. (I had already cleared those.) But you reminded me that in addition to cache and cookies, FF also keeps track of site preferences. When I deleted info one type at a time, the problem went away after site preferences got purged.

Interesting in that I always accept any site's default and never specify my own preferences. And I know I never did anything like that for either of the two sites affected.  Guess something got in there somehow. Why it only pooched DoCo's SMF pages and A List Apart's website is anybody's guess. But it's fixed now so I'm not going to spend a lot of time worrying about it unless it happens again.

Thanks for your help! Appreciated. :)

P.S.
@tomos - your English is just fine. You use it better than many native speakers I deal with. :) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 01:28 AM by 40hz »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED - Help! Firefox 7.01 Weirdness
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 05:35 AM »
This used to be a recurring issue 1 year ago with Opera, usually opening DC's CSS and reloading it sorted the issue out.