ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

FARR not a commonly downloaded program?

<< < (2/7) > >>

mouser:
And then the dialog practically begs the user to delete the dangerous file.

Here we go again.

This is an absolutely outrageous unacceptable message, just as bad if not worse than the false positive fiasco in the antivirus world.

You cannot go telling people that you think a download could harm their computer without any basis for doing so.

If you want to tell people that "Hey i've never seen this program so i'm not going to vouch for it's safety" that's fine.

But you just cannot tell people downloading a file "this could harm your computer" just because the program hasn't passed some mystery f*cking qualification.

This is how these big guys play this game -- they know they don't have to worry about their software being marked as harmful so they don't give a damn if they scare people away from independent developer stuff.

IE should be avoided like the plague until they fix this.  Absolutely outrageous.

Please complain loudly and share this information widely -- these companies cannot be allowed to keep playing this game of scaring the life out of users every time they find a file that hasn't made it to some "approved" software list that the big companies control.

PROTEST LOUDLY -- this is not ok.

Once again Microsoft seems absolutely hell bent on destroying their reputation and running their company into the dirt.

rgdot:
I mentioned @IE on twitter

https://twitter.com/dohRG/status/125241144182456320

wraith808:
Some more information:

This is from SmartScreen Filter.  They talk about how to submit a site as safe on that page, but not a download.

For further reference, what follows is my experience downloading FARR.
The initial download...

The alarmist warning...

The dialog if you select other options.  Note that the option to ignore is hidden!

Finally, the option to ignore...

Oh, and one last point to add insult to injury... the link (at least on my computer) to what is SmartScreen Filter at the bottom of the dialog is broken!

And as an FYI - how to disable this feature.

40hz:
Once again Microsoft seems absolutely hell bent on destroying their reputation and running their company into the dirt.
-mouser (October 15, 2011, 10:50 AM)
--- End quote ---

Isn't it more like they're hell bent on destroying your reputation and running your 'company' into the dirt?

Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Google, Canonical, Novell, Symantec, McAfee...I think I'm beginning to seriously hate any company that employs more than 50 people these days. >:(

tomos:
Wouldn't this be a good one to add to the falsepositivereport forum
(as discussed here on dc - The False Positive and Improperly Rated Site Epidemic)
??

Maybe under False Positives / Microsoft

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version